16 May 2023

16.05.2023 Laden bin sorting.

 ~o~

 Tuesday 16th 49F. Overcast and windy from the WNW, variable. Possible showers later.

 I am facing the prospect of sorting the rubbish for increased recycling. Or dumping all the mixed refuse into the new mixed refuse container. The paper/plastic is no problem. It is the requirement for  food waste and food cartons for segregation. I already had the large, kitchen pedal bin well underway. I still haven't decided how best to achieve refuse segregation within the kitchen. Do I buy a whole series of waste baskets and have them standing in rows? 

 The food waste, kitchen container seems to have been designed to maximize rotting food smells. It contains a polythene bag but the hinged top and sides of the plastic container are perforated. Did anybody give this matter a single moment's consideration? Before ordering tens of thousands for consumer use? 

 The stinking waste food bag might as well stand open on the counter top! Any open basket or container will do to hold the bag open around the lip. Hiding the contents with a perforated lid is just drooling idiocy! It will attract rodents, flies and ants! Aside from making the kitchen stink!

 Will the bin men be checking, from the first emptying, for exact compliance? It certainly happened last time. They simply refused to empty the green bin when it was first introduced. If they saw a single wrongly sorted item in there. 

 They even had cardboard "punishment" notices! To hang the card on the bin handle by its hook. With long waits between emptying it was a major problem to have an overflowing bin! And no, you could not hang an extra bag on the bin next time around. Or it was simply ignored! Give the employees of a private business a little bit of power...

 An interesting detail is that the new wheely bins have sorting labels on the top and on the handle side. BUT! Nobody ever uses the bins that way! They put the bin handles towards the wall or the hedge. Then lift the lid naturally from their own side. So, once the lid is lifted, all identification as to contents is lost to the user. 

Not my bins. I took this picture while I was out on my bike. Pretty background.

 Labels on the fronts of the bins, or inside the lids, should have been obligatory. The present segregation labels are only of use to the bin men. They only need to see them for a few seconds per year before tipping! The consumer needs the identification labels every single time they open the bin. Day and night and in all weathers and lighting conditions.

 7.50. Time for a walk. It is grey and cool. I have no idea how windy it will be in the open. The garden is very sheltered from that wind direction.

 My short jacket was no match for the wind. It was cold enough to keep my hands in my pockets. So I cut short my walk. I would have worn the Endura cycling jacket but it [very wisely] has no front pockets. For cycling this is ideal. Nothing to be squashed between the tops of one's thighs and one's chest while pedaling. Nor inhibiting leg movement in general. 

 Any jacket purporting to be for cycling should have no lower, front pockets. The Endura has a single breast pocket big enough for a phone. With a single rear pocket protected by a rain flap. Nowhere to put one's hands when it is unexpectedly cold.

 A lazy day on the computer. I ignored the desperate need for more grass cutting. Expecting it to rain at any moment. Of course it didn't but my ruse worked.

 I was going to chicken out and go for toast again. Toast, two days in a row, is not allowed. So I rather fancy fish fingers and chips. Those, who are keeping tabs, will know it is 9 days since I last enjoyed that combination. So there! 😋


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment