18 May 2023

18.05.2023 Coastal pursuits.

 ~o~

 Thursday 18th 44F. Bright, with sunny periods expected. 15C/60F maximum with much lighter winds.

 I walked the "wrong way" this morning. Hoping to capture the bright oil seed rape fields. I failed because the low sun beyond was making the views much darker than reality. So we'll have to make do with another, early morning landscape. 

 The choice of where to go now arises. It is a religious/bank holiday. I have the e-bike ready. Now I have to decide which direction I should take. 

 There is a gentle north westerly breeze. So, if I start against the wind it will [theoretically] help me home. Then I could work my way up the west coast. There is no real coast road, as such, but the quiet lanes wander roughly northwards. I could explore whatever offshoots present themselves as potentially interesting.

 I am safely home again after an 83km/51 mile ride. Averaging 24km/h over 3h30m. I explored lots of tracks and lanes going up the coast. Then returned inland via small lanes. A battery change was required on the way back. 

 I traveled for miles on rough gravel tracks to reach quiet beaches. The countryside was gorgeous. With birdsong everywhere I went.

  I saw numerous birds of prey. Including one huge bird being mobbed by another slightly smaller bird of prey in a thermal. A third bird of prey was circling higher up. A tame harrier drifted back and forth as I rode along a dead end lane. It went for miles. Then had a turning circle at the very end.

 It never became very warm. So I kept all my original clothes on. Including a scull cap under my helmet and a cycling cardigan under my windproof jacket. Normally I would have to take these off to avoid overheating. 

 It was only 14C/57F on my return at 13.15. Though now the temperature is creeping upwards to 16C/61F as it is approaching 14.00.

 15.30 It has reached 17C/63F. 34C/93F in the greenhouse before I opened the end doors!

 Interestingly [?] my digital thermometers are fading away. The button batteries are expiring at the same time. Which seems odd but true. Other digital thermometers last for years on a single "normal" cylindrical battery.

Dinner was poached eggs on toast. It is eight days since I last had this.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment