11 May 2023

11.05.2023 New route au naturel?

 ~o~

 Thursday 11th 51F, overcast and misty but [miraculously] no wind. Possibilities of light showers. I can barely make out a dark splodge of a house at 250m distance. Up at 5.30.

 Riding to the cooking class. I have a slightly different route in mind. Despite this requiring a detour along the main road. With a climb and a matching descent. The change removes multiple climbs and a fierce 1in 4 descent on a very narrow, sharp bend. Testing tire adhesion is not my idea of fun should I meet a vehicle at that precise point. Which often seems to be the case. It is a rat run for those heading south in a rural maze of lanes. Without any obvious main road alternatives for miles/km.

 The new route was utterly amazing. I had completely forgotten its existence. It climbed several times though beach woods and was gorgeous despite the overcast. With new views off to the side. I felt strangely cheated that I had not enjoyed this lane more often. Having traveled a nearby lane so many times over the years. 

 Cooking class went well. I peeled, fried and baked potatoes for a chicken and mushroom dish. Then there were mini flutes. Others made a delicious tomato soup from complex ingredients.

 I rode home the way I had come. Enjoying the exhilarating descent in light rain. The Moustache e-bike is very sure footed. It always feels very safe. I chose not to wear padded shorts today. My thinking is that I am slowing the broad gauge, leather saddle break-in, with padding. 

 My sit bones should have a more beneficial effect if directly applied to the leather. Those aghast at my daring need have no fears of a Lord Godiva action replay on YouTube. I was wearing my strangely stretchy "cycling" trousers. Provided I shifted my position on the saddle occasionally it was not really uncomfortable. 

 No dinner tonight as I have already feasted too well at the cooking class. Milky coffee and chocolate biscuits, while I watch a silly, Korean Sci-fi series on Netflix, will have to do. Meanwhile the washing up and laundry beckon from afar.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment