15 May 2023

15.05.2023 The call of the sea.

 ~o~

 Monday 15th 15C/59F. Bright but cloudy. The threat of thundery showers in the afternoon returns for a second day. Up at 5.30.

 Despite the high temperature [25C/77F] at bedtime I slept upstairs. I used an empty duvet cover and was comfortable. The double thickness provided a little more weight and warmth than a single sheet. There was the usual wrestling match to remain covered.

Lots of bird activity this morning. A red kite was circling over the mobile telephone mast. The two hares had moved further down the field. Pheasants stomped around. Six crows were having a tremendous scrap! Presumably invasion of territory by a stranger. It was more threat and wing flapping than bloodletting. Many trees and shrubs are in flower now. Others already gone over.

 I have a new goal for this morning's ride. SW to the coast via the quiet country lanes. Though I had better be back by lunchtime with the threat of thunderstorms still hanging.

  Another 62km at 25km/hr average speed in 2.5 hours. Single battery level down to 25%. A superb day. Sunny, 23C/73F and almost no wind. Not  much traffic either. Back at 12.30. 

 I passed dozens of swans foraging in the calm, protected waters inside the causeway. The open sea was unexpectedly calm outside it but only of interest to a few gulls. The air was full of flies and swallows throughout my ride. The flies were winning. So I had to keep my mouth shut. Just for  change.

 I began to suffer saddle soreness despite wearing my best, padded shorts. So I stopped and tilted the saddle backwards slightly. This felt better but the damage was probably already done. I'll leave the saddle like it is until after the next ride. Just to confirm any improvement. Or not.

 18.30. 15C/59F It became very dark but only a tiny drop of rain so far. The forecast sites show lightning strikes and rain to our east and west. I closed up the greenhouse in expectation of a cloudburst. 

18.45 The DMI radar shows us under heavy rain. Not a drop. The ground is still dry. 

18.50 Update: Now it is drizzling so lightly it is all but invisible. The drop in outdoor temperature has me putting on warm clothes. Yet the indoor temperature remains steady at 24C/75.5F. Windows now closed. 

 It rained some more.

 I am having cheese on toast tonight. With halved, fresh tomatoes.


~0~

No comments:

Post a Comment