5 May 2023

5.05.2023 Hanging panniers from my Moustache.

 ~o~

 Friday 5th 7C/45F. A bank holiday with limited shop opening. Overcast and very windy. Easterly gusts expected up to 45mph today. Rain is forecast overnight tonight and most of Saturday. It was lucky I had a ride yesterday. A crow has just landed on top of a garden tree. With some difficulty. As its chosen twig was rising and falling a foot and rocking two feet back and forth. It soon left for a more secure and stable perch.

 Talking of which: Here is an image of all the dead spots on the Moustache rear rack. The Ortlieb panniers rely on [movable] hooks for support. The tiny space available, on the Moustache rack, makes this far more difficult. Other racks claim the same maximum load capacity but have far fewer dead spots for the hanging hooks.

 I registered my Moustache e-bike on the company website. Only to receive an auto-request for a Trustpilot score entirely in French. Should I favour them with a Google Translate tirade in Danish? As to the etiquette of multi-language communication in a connected world? 😏

 8.00 Blowing even harder now but not very cold. I need a suitable jacket. Windproof but not hot. I had better try the Endura biking jacket. Just to see how sweaty it might be. I'll leave the hearing aids at home. The roaring wind will be highly amplified. I am already having to strongly reduce the levels while riding the e-bike. 

 9.00 8C/47F. That was silly! I took off my jumper before leaving. To avoid being too hot. Which meant the wind pressed the thin, man-made jacket material hard against my t-shirt and me. As soon as I cleared the protective wall of roadside hedge I was freezing. A swift about turn and return to base. Morning coffee outranked hypothermia. 

 On the bike I would have removable layers and be working much harder. The jacket is certainly windproof but not meant to be warm in itself. I might have been quite comfortable with a jumper on. Without it, I was not properly dressed for the ambient temperature and gales. 

 It feels much cooler indoors. Despite the 66F on the digital thermometer beside me. I had to run the stove for an hour last night when it dropped below 15C/60F downstairs. Only a few slivers of waste wood and a couple of split logs. Which are now very dry after baking in the greenhouse.

 The refuse disposal firm has been delivering new dustbins for increased, household recycling. Three wheely bins will allow 10 types of refuse to be segregated. Though collections will be at much longer intervals. 

 Green bags are being supplied in advance for a year's food waste. Which will be turned into bio gas. I like that idea. Mixing food waste with ordinary household refuse is smelly. Segregation in a sealed bag will hopefully avoid this problem. 

 My pedal bin already uses bags but they are perforated for child safety. My limited refuse contribution would often sit in the pedal bin for a whole fortnight. Before being moved to the outdoor bin for collection. I need to investigate their offer of a free container for the kitchen waste bag.   

 I'll give you three guesses what was for dinner. Best of three?

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment