1 May 2023

1st May 2023 Roundabout.

 ~o~

 Monday 1st May 8C/46F. Bright overcast. A milky sky. SE breeze. Happy Birthday to my sister Sue. 

 Not sure what to do with today. I could continue the test rides around the block [4km] for mode/speed comparisons. Using Sport and Turbo modes this time. Shutting down the phone app and Nyon in between rides. To avoid the confusion of continuous data recording. I haven't used Turbo mode much until now. Except to crest a few hills. I was afraid it would flatten the battery on normal rides.     

I had better have a walk first.

9.00 12C/53F The wind is visibly increasing.  With the garden trees and shrubs moving about. Slightly less cool than of late. Though lots more traffic. Birds competing for attention. Including a thrush. Which has an extraordinary repertoire and a professional sound system.

 10.30 14C/57F. I have been collecting the data from my two rides this morning. The first lap using Sport mode. The second, in Turbo mode, after a short rest. Average speeds have risen to 33 and 36kph respectively. The wind has changed from yesterday and is a headwind on the longest leg. I was a little breathless at times and was riding fairly hard but not flat out. The GPS calculation altitude varies slightly despite my sticking to much the same path on both laps.

 The graphs of my speed over the course of 4km laps.

 Sport mode. Top speeds were similar to Turbo. I was topping out at maximum assisted speeds. Beyond which the motor provides no more power. It feels almost like braking. Easing off returns to assisted driven mode up to the maximum 45kph speed again. Average 33kph.

The Turbo trace raises and flattens all the troughs from lower assistance modes. Increasing the average speed over the entire course. Average of 36kph. My cadence was higher. As was my own output.

  The first major trough is a blind, uphill, left turn. Off the main road into the lanes. I chose gears to match the resistance against my high cadence for maximum speed. The next trough is the sharp left in the village square. 

 Then a gentle climb before a run downhill to slow for the main road and another left. Sprint rapidly up to full speed with another bend. Then slightly uphill before braking to a stop. The long, undulating middle section was into the headwind today.

 There was no traffic to affect my rides today. I will usually ease off to let traffic pass safely on the blindly twisting and undulating main road. At my higher speeds I prolong overtaking and the considerable danger of their meeting traffic head on. On what is a race track for many. It is very popular with motorcyclists on dry and sunny weekends. Convoys of dozens of bikes often howl and roar up and down. Enjoying the sharp twists and turns, humps and hollows.

 I have re-hung the shade nets on the lean-to greenhouse. They look a bit scruffy until the winter creases drop out and the wind stops blowing them around. 

 The free heat available was exceeding the requirements for warming the house. Spring brings higher outdoor temperatures. Which reduces heat loss through the fabric of the building. 

 It is already 21C/70F upstairs. Any warmer and it makes sleeping more difficult. The balance point has already been reached. Should it become cooler outside again I can easily retract the shade nets.

 The double, end doors are protected with framed weldmesh for security and to block wildlife ingress. Despite the shade nets, the sliding greenhouse doors will still need to be opened. To shed excess summer heat. I managed to keep the greenhouse within 10F of the indoor temperatures last summer. The trick is to block the heat before it passes through the glass. Once inside it is already too late. 

An afternoon ride to my friend's place. I was aiming for 40kph but averaged only 31kph and 29kph. Still pretty good going for a very hilly 26km. I selected Sport mode at home, rode hard and ignored range anxiety. 64% charge on arrival. Returned by much the same way and ended on 23%. 50 minute rides, each way. Gusty crosswind.

Dinner was fish fingers, pasta and peas. Followed by tomato soup and a roll. 😋


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment