22 Mar 2023

22.03.2023 Riding in the rain. Getting soaking wet...

 ~~

 Wednesday 22nd 8C/46F. I am aching all over. Heavily overcast and breezy. All day rain expected. A shame, because I was going to ride to the museum today. Several days of rain are forecast.

 I have a slight problem. The car is connected to and trapped behind the trailer full of logs. Which means I will have to unhitch and manually rotate the heavy trailer by 90º to push it aside. So the car will have a clear path to reverse back down the drive. It might be easier to take the bike and make myself fully waterproof. Let's see now... mask, snorkel, flippers. 🤿

 Guess who padlocked the trailer to the hitch and then lost the key? Now I will have to go on the bike anyway. I have searched everywhere I might have put the key. Every pocket of every item of clothing I might have worn. Drawers, boxes, bags, down the backs of chairs. Grovelled on the floor in case they fell off the coffee table or the dining table or the chairs or whatever. 

 I stripped all the old padlock keys from the car key bunch the other day. What I did with them afterwards is a complete mystery. I shall just have to use the angle grinder on the padlock when I get home.

13.30 9C/48F. I had to ride through the rain to get to the museum. Selecting SPORT mode to cruise at 30-35kph. About 18-20mph. A pair of waterproof over-trousers and the new jacket kept me dry this time. The jacket material was soon dark with wet. Still dry inside.

 I spent the morning at the museum moving and sorting stuff. Nothing too taxing. There were twenty volunteers at the morning coffee  break around the huge dining table. I rode home again in the rain with an increased crosswind. Using SPORT mode again to shorten the journey time. About 40 minutes. Usually about 20 minutes in the car: Driving at 80kph/50mph on empty, rural roads. With long stretches of 50kph or 30mph in the intervening villages. About half and half really.

  Bosch support responded to my mail requesting a release date for the bike battery. Without telling me the release date. I was linked to a Bosch range calculator and advised to have the battery checked at a Bosch approved bike shop. 

 I also did a battery reset as advised. Pressing the on/off button for over 10 seconds. Though this didn't alter the displayed charge level. 76% after riding in SPORT mode to and from the museum. Fully charged the previous evening.

 Later, I cut through the trailer padlock with a diamond disk on the angle grinder. Surprisingly slowly for a cheap padlock with 6mm shackle!

 Then struggled to move the fully loaded trailer. [Heaped high with logs!] I laid a length of 2x4 across its path to stop it rolling away down the gentle slope of the [soggy] parking space. Then the car didn't want to start! Probably jealous of the e-bike! 🙄

 I hadn't shopped. So dinner was poached eggs on toast. [Again! 😋] One yolk broke as I lowered it gently into the cup. It was still fine.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment