16 Mar 2023

16.03.2023 Red sky in the morning..

 ~~

 Thursday 16th 1C/33F. Frost, early red sky and rather a lot of thin cloud. Rain is promised for later this afternoon. While this morning is forecast to be cloudy. Up at 6.30. 

 The plan is to ride the scenic route to the cooking class. The most direct route is arguably quickest. It is also rather boring. With the traffic traveling and overtaking at high speeds on long straights joined by gentle corners. The indirect route is one I used to take on my trike to reach a garden centre. It is winding and hilly but that is no longer important with motor assistance. I shall allow an hour for a roughly 20km ride. It's true distance is unknown. The battery is at 100%. So I shall have plenty of reserve. 

 Not a good start! I was preparing the trike. Removing overnight locks and fitting the battery. When I noticed the plastic Kiox display bracket [I had just bought] is already broken. £20 cheap plastic crap! I have wrapped the break in tape until I can do something else. Back to the original mounting bracket.

 The distance to the cooking class was 22km. I took the quiet lanes route. Average speed, while moving, 22kph. So an hour each way. It stayed dry. So an enjoyable ride going both ways. Coming home was against a strong, gusty wind. This was reinforced by my much faster forward motion. I was having to use Sport mode occasionally to make good progress.  

 I used Turbo, just once, to carry me effortlessly up a short, steep rise. My speed, relative to the trike, is at least doubled and probably tripled or quadrupled while climbing. Depending on how much battery charge I am willing to use. Today I went from 100% down to 41%. I used Tour mode as much as possible. 41km, at a good pace, used 60% of the battery charge. The motor provided double to three times my own power input. The battery showed two LED bars for 40%. So is reasonably true to 20% charge per bar.

 The motor assistance modes can be thought of like multiple front chainwheels. Each stronger mode represents a larger chainwheel. When one runs out of pedaling speed, in a particular mode, one changes to the next mode. This usually results in a need for lower gears at the back. Due to rapidly increasing wind resistance.

 The Cambium saddle was increasingly uncomfortable today. I should have worn padded cycling shorts but didn't. Yesterday I wore padded shorts and never even noticed the saddle. Albeit for half the total distance. My wrists were also aching towards the end. I can't push the saddle any further back.

 At the cooking class we made a complex stew, mashed potato and a potato salad tart. There was a lot of interest in my new e-bike. Which I had parked right outside. So it could be monitored from the kitchen window. As well as locked to a lamp post. There is some passing foot traffic amongst dog walkers. As well as those getting some exercise in the green areas. All of which is well hidden from the road at the back of the building.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment