15 Mar 2023

15.03.2023 Battery Boy Ventures Forth!

 ~~

 Wednesday 15th 9C/32F. Cold and bright with a mostly clear sky. Wintry showers possible as a polar low crosses the country. The showers are most likely around lunch time.  It would be very tempting to go to the museum on the e-bike. It is a shame the weather is not cooperating. 

 I am simply not ready. My choice of clothing hasn't been decided. It all depends on indoor/outdoor work. Suitable clothes for the journey. Footwear? I'd need somewhere to store my stuff. Which would usually be just thrown into the car. I haven't even arranged storage bags on the e-bike. So shopping would be pointlessly difficult.

   I cleaned the glass on the stove for the very first time. It had slowly clouded over. Making fire watching more difficult. Now the glass is invisible and the full beauty and detail of the flames is exposed once more. 

 12.45 I have returned from the museum in sunshine. Where I helped to move boxes of books between the old and the new library. The move is completed as far as its transport is concerned.

I am no longer the new boy. We have three new volunteers. Two younger ladies and a gentleman. There were a couple of minor snow showers with some sunshine during the morning.

 My insurance company has [securely] posted my insurance policy for my e-bike online. I have printed it out. So now I really am legally allowed to ride on the roads. It is a requirement by law that I carry proof of 3rd party insurance on my '45' Speed-Pedelec. An approved helmet, continuous lights and an approved lock [when parked] are all compulsory. 

 The forecast, for this afternoon, is cloudy. Though very few showers appear on the radar. I could do with some shopping seven miles away. A reasonable first ride. One which I would not hesitate to take on the trike. Can I fit my big yellow bag on the rear rack? There are lots of different straps attached to the bag. Which might help. I haven't really studied the possibilities until now.

 It wasn't going to happen. The yellow bag suits the rear rack on the TRYKIT but not a bare platform. So I added my old Carradice Camper Longflap to the Brooks Cambium C17 loops. With an ancient pair of panniers on the rear rack. Once I had the new locks on board I set off to shop. 

 25km later I had averaged 25kph and peaked at 46kph. It absolutely pissed down for most of the time I was out. [To put it politely.] It snowed, hailed and rained on me. [And blew!] Until my jacket was dark with wet. My gloves were soon soaked too. My hands were aching with the cold for most of the time. 

 The lightweight Barbour cotton jacket hasn't been proofed since I bought it in a charity shop. Probably well over a decade ago. I have the stuff to clean and proof it now. When I am not needing it, of course.

 By sheer luck I found a Tefal Cyclop. My favourite bar-end mirror. It was in the bike shop in the shopping village I visited. Being without a mirror left me blind to overtaking traffic. I was unable to turn my head, to glance behind, without changing course. I am just so out of practice on a two wheeler. Then I had the mirror but no screwdriver. My cycling toolkit was on the trike. Idiot! 

 Once my shopping was finished I decided to ride home as quickly as possible. Hoping to minimize the overtaking traffic by reducing my elapsed time. So I cruised home at 40kph in Sport mode. Changing gear, as necessary, to keep my cadence high. It was all so effortless! Crossing a wide road to climb a steep hill was fun too. I engaged Sport mode, pushed off, shot across the road and cruised up the hill. I was careful not to ride too quickly past others on the cycle paths. They could easily hear my disk brakes squealing. As I slowed right down for them.

 The battery charge was reduced from 85% to 55% while I was out. Hill climbing is a revelation! No more breathlessness. Yet I still had a very good workout. My legs were burning but I was belting along without being breathless. Changing gear, as required, soon became second nature. I simply optimized my cadence. The whine from the motor went up and down with each change of gear. Though it wasn't loud enough to be irritating. 

 The Cambium saddle went completely unnoticed throughout the ride. Thanks to padded racing shorts. I used my hand to squeegee the surface water off the saddle after coming out of each shop. None of the bike racks could cope with the wide front tyre. So I used the prop stand. Then held the wheel with the short U-lock through the rack for security. I had a dirt cheap. lightweight waterproof cycling jacket in my saddle bag. So I put it on over the Barbour jacket. It helped to keep me warm and is dayglo bright yellow.

 I put the bike battery on charge on my return.  It was fully charged within an hour. I am still considering riding to the cooking class tomorrow. About 20km each way with lots of hills. A grey day is promised but no showers until much later. I'll check the updated forecast tomorrow before making a final decision. 

 It will obviously take longer than cruising at 80kph/ 50mph in the car on main roads. There is an alternative route via rural lanes. Winding through hamlets and villages. I know the route well. Having [tri]cycled it frequently. I would not call it a shorter route and there are steep hills aplenty. Water off an e-ducks back for Battery Boy.

 Dinner was cheese on toast with halved tomatoes. Followed by tomato soup and a roll. I failed miserably in my duties as a global influencer. In not photographing the evidence of my advanced culinary skills as proof. The evidence was eaten before I remembered. It could have been worse. I might have burnt it and be put in an old people's home. For my own protection. I didn't. So I wasn't.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment