7 Mar 2023

7.03.2023 The weakest link in any chain.


 Tuesday 7th 34F. Very heavy overcast. About 1cm of overnight snow quickly disappearing. There are rain drops on the northerly windows. A wind storm is expected to pass over. With gusts to 24m/s. Peaking around lunch time from the NW. Safely behind the shelter belt of trees. Provided they aren't damaged or felled.


 

~~

 8.15 36F.  The stove is lit. Indoor temperatures have dropped overnight. To 57F/14C in the lounge and 61F/16C upstairs. Time for a walk.

 Nothing to report except that it was breezy. Lots of gulls drifting across the landscape at low altitude. Jackdaws pecked at the verges before moving away as I came closer.

The storm went unnoticed indoors. I was only aware that it was windy when I brought more logs in from the greenhouse.

 13.30. The new battery for the laptop arrived and was fitted. It was so flat that I had to charge it just to get 1% to show on screen. The laptop now works with the battery on continuous charge. With a likely 2.5 hours duration to a full charge. 

 Sunny periods in the afternoon as the wind slowly dies away.

 I haven't heard from the distant cycle shop. So I rang them. It seems they needed to order a new battery and other parts. Which have arrived and they will now start work. The chap I spoke to was unable to say when I'd get my bike. I'll ring again tomorrow. Just to confirm progress from the staff member directly involved.

 The battery was a matter of some concern to me. Since the bike is two years old despite remaining unsold. [I hope it hasn't been a test model!] I was going to ask where I stood if the battery grew tired prematurely. It seems they aren't taking that chance. It is unfortunate that the office staff, workshop and retail shop are three distinct entities. Making direct communications slightly problematic if specific staff members are not present.

 Not all the staff are equally technically knowledgeable. So asking about the equipment fitted is not exactly straightforward. They have a very full spec, down to the last detail, listed for some manufacturers and models. But only the manufacturer's name for certain parts fitted to this particular e-bike. Some important dimensions are also lacking. Which are fully described for other bikes.

 The latest head display units are also far more sophisticated than in the past. With colour, touch screen, on-screen route mapping and user, power assistance variation. The data available is far more complex than with earlier units. With PC and phone natural partners for analysis. Albeit at considerable cost if the latest head unit is not already fitted to the e-bike. Several hundred pounds equivalent.

 The local bike shop will not have the same loyalty to a customer who bought his bike elsewhere. Even if it is from a manufacturer he does not personally deal with himself. Just one of the many problems involved with remote, online purchasing. 

 I tried very hard at the national chain of bike shops. Within reasonable reach of the car. Not one had the e-bike I wanted. Nor was any reasonable alternative offered. Nor available at any of the five [bike chain] shops I visited. 

There is also the distance involved to the dealer. A local Bosch bike workshop will cheerfully update software. Though I am probably going to have to pay for it. Where it might be free from the original dealer. I don't believe it is possible for the customer to update the Bosch software themselves. How will I fare for repairs under guarantee?

 Dinner was fish fingers, beans and tinned tomatoes. With a bread roll.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment