18 Mar 2023

18.03.2023 Longest ride so far.

 ~~

 Saturday 18th 7C/45F. Overcast. A dry but cloudy day is promised. The mild temperatures are still affecting those indoors. 21C/70F upstairs this morning. 18C/64F downstairs. I need not have lit the stove yesterday. With all the internal doors open it still reached 24C/74F in the lounge. I shall have to buy some more logs. It can't be guaranteed that we shall have yet another, record warm spring. 

 Where am I going today? Have e-bike. Will travel. 😊

I rode to Ringe to visit a bike shop. Where I was able to see the Bosch NYON display in the flesh. I averaged 23kph over 79km. Stopped at my friend's place on the way back. For a rest and a restoring cup of coffee and biscuits.

 I have not been keeping my cadence high enough. Averaging only 80rpm. Tending to push higher gears instead of spinning. This is taking its toll on my knees. The ECO mode feels far too easy above 85rpm. Like empty revs and going nowhere fast. Engaging TOUR mode brings back the resistance to pedaling. 

 Later on, I was having to use Tour to get me over climbs and short rises to save my aching knees. Which depleted the battery to 31% by the time I arrived home. I was watching the Kiox display carefully for pedal rpm and range. Switching between range and cadence screens, as I changed mode. To confirm how much I needed to nurse the battery to get home. 

 I'd say the 625 battery was at its range limit today. Without my using Sport or Turbo modes. ECO mode dominated to conserve range. I would have preferred to have used much more of the TOUR mode. TOUR is a complete misnomer for its very limited range! Any fit cyclist could exceed the range available. That said, TOUR may offer higher speeds and less effort. Than many cyclists can manage over the same range. 

 I believe my experience today makes a complete mockery of the claimed range in TOUR. From the stated range I should have safely completed the entire ride in TOUR. Instead of which much of it required ECO mode to return with any life left in the battery.

 The initial 100% battery charge showed a range of 130km in ECO mode. From memory, I believe the range was halved by switching to TOUR. Then halved again with each increase in assistance mode to Sport and then Turbo. Interestingly, the Bosch computer was recalculating range whenever I returned to a lower assistance mode. If I eased off it would add a few extra kilometers. To the range shown when switching between modes. 

 It must be remembered that wind resistance increases hugely with every increase in speed. It is wind resistance which keeps cyclists from achieving higher speeds while seated normally. The motor is drawing more from the battery to achieve even quite small increases in speed. A "50cc racing motorcycle" style fairing would reduce wind resistance. At the cost of increased weight and bulk. Probably illegal too. Tucking the rider down behind a curved windscreen would not make for very comfortable touring. 

 The average e-bike riding position is very sit-up-and-beg. City bike style. Making for maximum cycling wind resistance. I hold out the hope of increased battery capacity within a short time. As battery technology advances rapidly. Under pressure to escape from climate change and the IC motor. With huge, potential rewards for a unique, patentable chemistry. Hardly a week passes without some battery chemist claiming a new breakthrough.

 The new Endura jacket was a bit sweaty on the first half of my journey. I was working hard to maintain a high average speed in ECO mode. The tell-tale prickles on my back were evidence enough of overheating. I opened the zip to my breastbone and that quickly and completely solved the problem. Coming home it felt colder and with a light headwind. So I zipped up to the neck and was perfectly comfortable. 

 The weather-proofed, sealed zips are very hard work to move! I had to stop to adjust them. Or to access the phone pocket. Which I needed for the maps when I was unsure of my progress. I am still  learning as a 2-wheel cyclist after a decade of riding only a trike. You can forget how to ride a bike.

 I am delighted with the new panniers. Superb capacity and easy access. I am now crossing the roll tops over each other. Then using the Q/R plastic buckles and straps between the two bags. To secure the big overlap on top of the rack. I happen to think it looks smart and aerodynamically smooth.

 Regaining the saddle from a stop: If I use Tour mode. To give me a boost up to a safe speed for balance. The pedal resistance drops rapidly. Making it more difficult to use the pedal as a stirrup. To lift myself onto the saddle. If I use ECO mode the resistance aids my lifting myself.  But then my speed remains too low for a safe balancing act until I can accelerate. Which requires I am safely back in the saddle. To be able to pedal. 

 No doubt I need a higher gear in TOUR mode to help the one legged lift up to the saddle. Sometimes I need a lower gear or more power to pull away. The main problem is arguably my remaining insecurity at low riding speeds. The fat tyre has much more resistance, to steering movements, than a slick 25mm high pressure tire. 

 An MTB dropper seat post could literally be a lifesaver.  To stop the inevitable wobbles! At an averagely obscene price! They can run to hundreds of pounds equivalent! Why? It would really help in dismounting. Or throwing my leg over the saddle when pulling away. I am having to lean the bike over at 45º just to be able to get my [tired] leg over the saddle. 

 The top tube dip is almost as difficult to master and even worse for balance! Hopefully I will become more flexible with time! Or grow old first! A rubber pad on the top tube would reduce my need for "high kicking" to avoid paint damage! 

 19.30 Dinner will be poached eggs on toast. I am still full from my very late lunch. I still added soup and a roll. I have calories to replace. Not to mention fluids.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment