16 Feb 2023

16.02.2023 Remote cooking.

 ~~

 Thursday 16th 4C/40F, overcast, rain and misty. Tomorrow's storm warning is still showing as well to the north. Up at 7.30 after a late night.  My back is aching a little from yesterday's log splitting. Cooking class today.

 As if by coincidence there was a news story today. About the huge number of drivers in Denmark. Who were fined for failing to show their rear fog lights. They could have added hundreds more to those I saw on my route today and every other misty day. Some weren't even using their headlights in 50m fog! Too lazy to switch them on. Or just too lazy to think about it? 

 Two lorries, in completely different places, had stopped diagonally across the road to make their deliveries. Too lazy to parallel park with the verge to save themselves a few more steps. In thick mist? Are they insane? One of them was on a blind corner. So I could not see the oncoming 7-axle tipper truck  approaching around the bend at well above the speed limit! I was lucky and escaped this obvious trap by sheer luck.

 14.30 5C/42F. Still very misty. Safely back from my cooking class. Where I made a large pot of leak and potato soup. It was very popular and everybody had seconds. It was delicious!

 I was just going to go shopping. Then realised I had already eaten. So I went outside and tidied up around the back/entrance door. With a final sweep to remove months of accumulated leaves. I really need to move the dustbins to a more sensible place. With at least one more dustbin on the way to improve recycling. I ought to make plans now. 

 This whole area badly need to be upgraded. It is still a horribly uneven mix of sand, gravel and concrete. The sandy gravel fills the sunken areas around the badly broken concrete slab. Which I have been [very] slowly demolishing. I want a flat and stable surface on the approach to the door. Something reasonably attractive would be a real bonus over the present mess. At the moment it is a hideous deterrent! The exact opposite of welcoming! 

 The old [and weak] concrete was obviously poured and roughly spread out. On completely unprepared ground in the dim, distant past. So the concrete varies in thickness by several inches. It has been badly crazed since we bought the place. My [late] wife covered it in plants. Now all gone. Leaving a complete and utter mess. 

 This north facing area doesn't get any real sunlight. Except in the early morning and then, only in summer. So it is prone to moss. Concrete slabs may be cheap and cheerful but they would soon become dark grey. Probably green, permanently damp, depressing and slippery. As is/was the remains of original concrete.

 Perhaps sharp, granite chippings would be more sensible? On firm ground they wouldn't roll underfoot like pea gravel. This would provide a smooth and even approach. Which could easily be extended. Right out over my [presently] soft, expanded, parking space. 

 Such a large, uniform surface would greatly expand the sense of space. While providing freedom of parking for several vehicles at once. Or perhaps a caravan, camper van, boat or even a table and chairs. Only the latter is likely under my custody. 

 I have a small table and chairs by the back door. Though they have never been used as intended. Except to help me change my footwear in comfort. Rather than hobbling about on one foot every time. Both my walking and safety boots use hooks and long laces. The soles are usually too muddy to allow changing into them indoors. 

 My Northwave winter cycling boots may have quick release and velcro but are still a struggle to take on and off. They have lasted extremely well and remain very comfortable. I mentioned them as far back as Jan 2015 on my blog. Though may have bought them earlier than that. Northwave always had a wider fit than any other cycling shoes I have ever tried.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment