1 Feb 2023

1st February 2023 New record rainfall for January.

 ~~

 Wednesday 1st Feb. 36F. I could hear the wind gusting occasionally. Up at 6.40. It felt cold at bedtime so I swapped over to my winter duvet.  I was comfortable after that. Odd, because it was 18C/65F upstairs and has only dropped to 64F overnight.

 Wednesday is museum day. I have an appointment in town after lunch. For a follow up on my hearing aids. I have almost run out of batteries. 

 No need for a walk because I usually get enough exercise at the museum. I should have mentioned that the traffic safety mirrors are hugely improved by my realignment and cleaning. 

Meanwhile, the drive potholes are full of water. So the new gravel is completely submerged. Hardly surprising when January was the wettest on record for Denmark. Since 1874 when records began. The last record was set in 2007. Hardly anything on the scale of NZ, Australia or Pakistan of course.

 Filling the potholes when they are flooded might actually make sense. The gravel would then be level with the rest of the drive. The problem is the sheer volume of gravel required!

  The dark theme PC screens are proving a strain on my eyes. I keep fiddling with the scale and text size. While moving my chair back and forth. Perhaps I should go back to white screens but turn the brightness down? I did.

 12.45 3C/38F  Back from the museum. Where I was painting slats with linseed oil primer in the big new shed. I can still smell "the paint" on my breath even after lunch. There were a few sunny periods but it mostly poured down all morning. Sometimes with hail. 

 Male blackbirds kept coming in quite close to me. To shelter from the rain. The floor of the shed is still turf and bare soil. So they pottered about pecking at the ground. The massive concrete paving slabs are still waiting outside. For a suitable foundation to be dug. Which must cope with the weight of tractors. 

 13.00  Getting ready to drive into town for a hearing aid update.

 15.40 Returning from town with another pair of hearing aids to try. I finally found some Ben's Medium Curry. I have been looking for ages. So I bought six jars. 😋

 It's chicken and mushroom curry for dinner. Not cooking the salamander. Which I just found on the bathroom floor. Too cold for it to go outside. So I put it in the greenhouse to find somewhere safe to hide. No idea how they find their way indoors. They have been turning up for years.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment