11 Feb 2023

11.02.2023 12 more miles.

 ~~

 Saturday 11th 7C/44F. Heavy overcast and the usual light mist. Up at 7.20 after a late night. Mild overnight resulted in maintaining indoor temperatures. [20C/68F upstairs] I removed the long underwear and slept much better under the summer duvet. Confusing forecast shows wind with strong gusts. There is almost no wind at all! The anemometer and vane are hardly moving and only at intervals at 08.00. A bit like me. I seem to be drifting without aim or purpose.

 My walk was abruptly halted as I stepped out of the door in my down sweater. It was drizzling. Back indoors to put on something more waterproof. My double cotton, winter walking jacket was soon fending off light rain. It pattered on my hood. As I braved the light headwind though the saddle at the junction to the lanes. Fortunately it was too mild to need gloves. Which I had helpfully forgotten. They are too bulky to easily stow in my pockets. The rain had stopped by the time I returned home.

 I can't explain it, but my hearing aids seem to have suddenly developed a strong sense of direction. Or is it me?  I was never aware of this before today. Often having to turn my head repeatedly from side to side. To try and locate bird calls or approaching traffic. 

 The latter was always a worry on the numerous blind corners. I could never tell whether the traffic was in front of or behind me. Now it seems I can. I feel much safer.

It is brightening up. The greenhouse is becoming self emptying. As I use up the baskets full of scraps of firewood. 

 What next? Grocery shopping by racing/touring tricycle. 

 13.30 9C/48F Lunch over. 12 miles/20km in all doesn't sound much. I took advantage of the increasing tailwind before pausing for shopping. After turning back into the wind it was much harder work. There was some sunshine but then it settled into dark overcast again. Average speed when moving 9mph. I wore the thinnest, fingered gloves by GripGrab and was comfortable thanks to the mild conditions. I seem to be getting my wind back on the climbs.

 Dinner was mackerel on toast. Followed by tomato soup and a bread roll.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment