14 Dec 2022

14.12.2022 More snow.

 ~~

 Wednesday 14th 0C/31F. Snow on the windows. Snow showers are forecast. I'll have to wait for fist light to see how bad it is out there. 

 Museum day. Will I be snow clearing? I have been struggling to get the car out already. The slight incline of the drive makes the wheels spin when I try to reverse. Yesterday, I had to break up a frozen mound of gravel. To throw some under the tyres.

Up at 5.40. 14C/58F upstairs. 13C/55F in the lounge. 9C/49F in the kitchen. 5C/41F in the bathroom.

 Yesterday I mentioned "1984" in the context of two of the world's most evil dictators. Today it is revealed, by the BBC, that Orwell's "1984" is the most popular read in Russia. Orwell said he based "1984" on Stalin. Ironic. The human race and Russia in particular, clearly does not learn from its most hideous mistakes.

7.45 There seems to be about 2" or 5cm of sticky snow on the car. It was cleared yesterday. Everything else is plastered in snow as well. Even vertical poles and surfaces. 

 8.00 Still barely light. No point in a walk. 

 I turned up far too early for the far museum. There was supposed to a  Christmas lunch at about 11.30-12.00. I helped with tidying up display equipment and then laying the table. There were only a few of us there.

 Once everybody arrived it was the typical wall of sound. As they all shouted above each other. I tried lowering the volume on the hearing aids but then I couldn't cut through to single voices. So I increased the volume and that helped. 

 They really should have some curtains in the dining room. There is no sound damping at all except for the clothes we were wearing. The room is long, narrow and low. With a full length table for up to 20 bods. Which further exacerbates the poor acoustics.

 15.30 The south-western sky is a gorgeous bright pink and orange but no sunshine.

 17.30 0C/31F. There is conflicting information on possible heavy 6-8" snowfall for this area. 

 No dinner tonight. I am still full from the Christmas lunch at the museum. Burp! 😋 

My wife would be shocked at things I eat these days. Cold herring, cold sild, all sort of dressings and sauces. Peppers, garlic. You name it and I'll try it. I never knew I liked any of these things until the cooking classes.


 ~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment