28 Dec 2022

28.12.2022 Did the homework. Got the App.

 ~~

 Wednesday 28th 40F. Up at 5.30 after waking earlier. Still not feeling right. I am aching, dull, headaches, nosebleeds and very tired. I was struggling to stay awake for most of yesterday and during the evening. Party PTSD? I drank only water and lemonade while I was there.

  Frontpage » Museum Vestfyn

 I have an appointment after lunch to have a first assessment of my experience with the hearing aids. Thanks to their poor performance in noisy environments I have very mixed feelings. I wish I had been able to try them in the noisy, coffee break at the museum. 

 At the party I was constantly turning the volume up and down in a desperate attempt to hear individual's voices above the din. Turning my head did not provide the hoped-for improvement. There was no sense of location of the person who was speaking. Nor did their voices increase in clarity.     

 The stove was very reluctant to light this morning. I had to keep relighting it and adding more kindling. It is going well now but some logs seem resistant to burning. All are below 20% moisture content. 

 9.10 and it's very dark, windy and wet. No walk today. I am watching YT videos about my hearing aids and expectations for new users of hearing aids.

 A morning of research and testing. To see if there is anything I can do to improve my experience with the hearing aids. Music, test tones, etc. I have an audible lift in the 2.5-4kKz range on the left aid. I have even tried my closed headphones for improved sound quality on both music and test tones. They fit nicely around the hearing aids and really improve the bass.

 12.15 Just returning from a gentle stroll around the neighbourhood. It brightened up but I just missed the sunshine. A pair of birds of prey were playing in the area. Diving at each other and calling. There was no obvious aggression. Probably a pair of harriers. Judging by the size, colouring and long tails. A flock of nervous Redwings are preening in the garden trees. 

 12.45. Time to make lunch before a shower and heading into town.

17.00  At the hearing aid appointment I explained my difficulties. Adjustments were made to the frequency responses to better natch my poor hearing. I have a new appointment for a follow up in January. My phone was updated with the App. So now I have control of level, balance, GPS location and can check various options like individual battery level. 

 Three programs have been set up for me in noisy, quiet situations and comfort. Direct streaming of TV sound [and many other sources] is a possibility but may require an extra box. The Internet of Things means that doorbells and other "smart" devices can be heard directly though the aids.

Dinner was mackerel on toast and tomato soup.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment