31 Dec 2022

31.12.2022 Alas too late!

 ~~

 Saturday 31st 8C/46F. Another grey and rainy day in prospect. Up at 4.30 after waking earlier. Rumours of my imminent demise were obviously exaggerated. I steel feel dull. Probably dehydration and hunger. Though I don't feel remotely hungry. The nausea has gone. My throat is still thick with phlegm. So that I have to keep clearing my throat. Had a cup of coffee. It tasted [fairly] normal.

 5.00 Much too early for breakfast but am going to try anyway. Muesli + tea.

 Regarding the fridge freezer: Temperatures in the freezer compartment continue to swing wildly. Lowest of -25C highest -8C. The room is averaging 55-57F/13-14C. Which is probably too low for reliability. The oil in the compressor becomes too stiff to pump. Depending on the climate rating. Usually +10C/50F minimum room temperature.

 I think it would be much safer to dump the content of the freezer compartment. There isn't much in there anyway and cost of replacement is miniscule compared to my health. Update: Contents duly dumped in the bin.

 Another factor has occurred to me: The mini-oven is standing on top of the freezer compartment. Despite the oven's large rubber feet it is possible it is radiating a lot of heat downwards. Straight into the freezer cabinet's top plate. Something I'll have to check. 

 Update: Two minutes after switching on the mini-oven the bottom plate was far too hot to touch. What a shame! It was so convenient to have it just there. I will have to add an insulated shelf, on more rubber feet, to block heat transfer to the freezer.

 The fridge-freezer is years old but I have no way to confirm its age. It still looks almost new. Perhaps it has a date on a label on the back. If it matters. It has struggled with a cold, unheated kitchen, every winter, for years. My wife used to switch on the [cooker] oven and open the door when she had to be in there.

 Now the kitchen has a small electric radiator right beside the fridge. Whether this helps or hinders normal operation I have no idea. The mechanical parts are at the rear. Where they need the minimum temperature to be above 10C. Warming the side of the cabinet may not be best practice! It may be the exact opposite. Update: Oil-filled radiator moved to the other end of the kitchen.

 6.30 Stove lit and another cup of tea to help the rehydration along. It's going to be a long day! I have almost run out of the second trailer load of racist firewood. In a couple of days I shall have to start on the load from the other supplier. 

 He was quite honest that it hadn't had a chance to dry ready for the stove. I measured it at 20-25% moisture content at the time. He recommended I keep some logs near the fire to dry before use. There hasn't been remotely enough sunshine to help it dry in the greenhouse. Though temperatures are consistently higher than outside. Air humidity has been very high for ages.

 On a completely different note: I found some tan coloured, cord, cushion covers on Ikea's website. Which would work perfectly as protective headrests for my tan, leather armchairs. I can click and collect [on the 2nd] but not have then delivered. Weird! 

 8.20 I hope to get a walk in before it starts raining all day. It is still too dark for safely walking beside the road. The green bin is waiting to be brought home from the end of the drive. 

 9.45 Back from my walk to the lanes. Grey with a cool breeze. I don't remember seeing any birds. 

 15.00 Raining. Spent the entire morning watching YT Shorts. Escapism. 🙄

 17.30 Had another nap to try and catch up. 

 23.20 Dinner was cheese on toast and tomato soup. Still waiting for the racket to start at midnight. There have only been a few pretty rockets so far.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment