18 Dec 2020

18.12.2020 Grey, with extra grey and grey on the side.

 ~~

Friday 18th 44F, dark grey overcast but not raining yet. Time for a walk before I get myself into any more trouble. Up to the woods under leaden skies, A thin wind was carrying the distant traffic noise to my one good ear. Lots of small birds flitting about in the roadside hedgerows. It's all very small beer in these parts.

The farmer had been landscaping the steep track up to the forest portal. The round hole in the overhanging trees is always enchanting. Water running off the hill, to one side of the track, was constantly cutting away at the demolition rubble. Which they had repeatedly dumped on the track over the years. Mostly crushed and broken house bricks. The slope has now been eased and a ditch cut to drain away the steady flow.

The rest of the morning was spent moving rocks. Followed by more heavy exercise in the afternoon. As I shovelled wet and heavy gravel into a barrow for an hour and tipped it elsewhere. Still half a trailer full left to do but it as too dark to see properly by 4.30pm. My back is aching. Am I having fun yet?

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment