17 Nov 2023

17.11.2023 Stayin' afloat.

 ~o~

 Friday 17th 39F/4C. Overcast. The forecast is confusing. Showers and windy. Meanwhile the hourly chart shows very light winds and no rain. The Copenhagen area has had record rainfall. [Since 1874] With the [underground] Metro out of action due to flooding. Up at 6.15 after one visit to the fire bucket in the night.

 7.30 Just beginning to get light. I have a shopping list. I have an e-bike. I'll see what the weather looks like in daylight. Before committing to pedalling to the shops. The retail services of a slightly more distant village are required. I may have to use my old car if it is too, unpleasantly wet for the bike. It's not just the stuff falling out of the sky. More the spray off passing vehicles. I'll have to have a search for my waterproof trousers. They may be hanging in the shed.

 I will assume I don't have to be at home this morning. To accept the MM back already. It may need a new exhaust. Which would have to be ordered from England. Or, it may simply be leaking at the manifold joint. As they often do.[Allegedly.] The car has to go for an official inspection after having a tow hook fitted. The noisy exhaust would be an automatic fail. 

9.45 Back from my walk in light drizzle. Two lighter blocks and some newspaper later the kindling in the stove is showing signs of small flames. I'll just have to add more newspaper. Not much sign of change on the minor flooding. Elsewhere there are roads and motorways closed following record rainfall. More rain promised for the weekend. I had better go shopping in the old car.

12.00 42F/6C. It is brightening up a little. I had to bring one lot of shopping home before moving onto another village. The first had no bread rolls [for today's lunch] and the air hose at one garage wasn't working. The second garage had no air at all.  

13.00 Lunch. I shopped at the second village and topped up the tyres.

21.00 Dinner was sausage, mushrooms and broccoli. The broccoli was underdone after ten minutes but still edible.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment