13 Nov 2023

13.11.2023 Backwards progress.

 ~o~

 Monday 13th 41F/5C. Overcast, still and misty. Buildings and trees are soft silhouettes at 150m. Possible heavy rain forecast for overnight tonight from 18.00.

 The room is at a typical 62F/17C. Got up only once in the night after having no drink with dinner. Got up at 7.30am. 

 I have to go to the bank in town. To have them sign a "Life Certificate" for my British pension. To prove I am still, more or less, upright. I could ride there as it's dry and the mist is slowly clearing. A trip I have made probably hundreds of times over the years. I can choose one of the several routes along the quiet country lanes. Do some shopping while I am in town. Most shops and several supermarket chains are no longer present locally.

 9.00 A breeze just blew through the garden. It was quite still before and afterwards. I had better have a walk.    

 10.00 Dark overcast and still quite misty. It is amusing to suggest that cars should show rear fog lights, by law, in poor visibility. Many modern cars have no rear lights lit these days. Which means they aren't showing any rear lights at all in fog! Many drivers use only side lights when the law calls for headlights to be lit 24 x 365 in Denmark. 

 It was cool but not cold on my hands. I looped around the parallel drives before plodding on to reach the lanes. The traffic was fairly quiet. I was passed by a low, BMW sports car painted in large black and white patches. Google suggests an i8 hybrid. And who am I to argue?  

 The right Sorel boot felt cool and damp almost from the start. I checked my socks on my return and both were dry. Both boots felt normally dry on the inside when I pushed my fingers up to the toes. It makes no sense. I don't have this problem with my other boots and shoes. There were no puddles but the ground was damp. I discovered a YT video questioning the thermal properties of the soles of Sorel boots.

 I brought the two, recycling, wheely bins back from the corner of the drive. The sky was half clear last night when I went along in the dark. My purchase of a large, flip top bin for the kitchen has become completely pointless. I hardly have any real refuse left after sorting into the other recycling bins. The large polythene, bin liners are a waste of money too. Now that I have only a bread bag's worth of rubbish after a fortnight. 

 The bin is too tall and narrow to use as a main bin in the kitchen. It is easier to dump paper and plastic waste straight into a large, open, metal, waste paper basket. Which is much easier to handle and sort from into the large, recycling bins outside.   

 12.00 I finally managed to get the Bosch Nyon to connect to its own Connect app on my Android phone. Now I can see yesterday's rides.

 12.45 47F/8C. Lunch. It is brightening up but increasingly windy. Apart from refilling the log rack and some laundry, I wasted the morning on the computer. At least it will be brighter for a ride this afternoon.

 16.15 Mission accomplished. I rode to town, visited the bank and shopped while I was there. Rode back in  the dark. Which gave me a chance to play with the dip switch for the headlights. Amazing power! The slipperiness of the Puma boots on the pedals. Was only present when they were wet.

 21.00 41F/5C When I came home I had to light the stove as it had dropped to 15C/60F in the room. It has now reached 67F/19C after several attempts to light the new kindling. 

 Dinner was salad. I  mixed it all together in a colander. Then dropped the tuna into the middle of the loaded plate. Delicious! I was going to add poached eggs but there wasn't any room.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment