28 Nov 2023

28.11.2023 Trike ride.

 ~o~

 Tuesday 28th 28F/-2C. Overcast. Up at 6.15 after a disturbed night. Probably due to napping during the day. 57F/14C in the room. Bright moonlight was shining through the glazed gable end. Then down the stairs onto the living room floor. It was so bright I thought I'd left a light on.

 8.45 The stove is lit, It has just started snowing lightly. As I prepare for my walk. Snow and icy roads in east Jylland have caused serious problems on the roads and motorways. It is snowing harder now.

  10.45 28F. Steady sunshine. The stove is struggling to get the room up to 64F/18C. 38F/3C in the greenhouse. I am going to ride the trike into the village to shop. With icy roads, my other means of transport would not be be as safe. While I could survive on toast. It would become boring and quite a problem if the snow becomes serious over the next few days. [As forecast] More importantly, I need more bread to freeze for toast. I have also run out of bread rolls. 

 12.00 Returned in snow falling steadily. The larder and fridge are restocked. Riding the trike wasn't too bad. No suspension made it feel like it had square wheels after the full suspension e-bike. I had pumped up the almost flat HP tires before leaving. The rear gears were most reluctant to change. The PVC Outlander duffle bag was so stiff it was difficult to load with shopping. 

 Not too breathless or any pain from pedalling entirely manually. Except that I was only marginally quicker than the other shopping cyclists. The dropped [racing] handlebars felt very low and far away even on the hoods. Only about seven miles in total. Fitting flat MTB pedals and handlebars to the trike might be sensible. That would be much more comfortable and save me having to wear SPD MTB boots. How often would I ride the trike for the considerable expense in conversion? It would need all new brake and 11 speed gear levers for straight bars.

 13.30 The snow soon stopped falling after I came home. Being replaced by sunshine. The Greenhouse has risen to 44F/7C. Or 50F/10C if you believe the sensor in the insulating block. It doesn't need to be in the block. It could easily be fixed to the back of a bit of polystyrene foam. Just to block direct solar heating.

 17.00 24F/-4C. Only 64F/18C in the room despite the stove going all day. Albeit at a low air supply setting to try and save on logs. I am now trying two split logs at a time to boost output. Increasing the air lever setting for a hotter burn should help. The greenhouse is reading 34F/1C outside the kitchen. 41F/5C outside the living room. Museum day tomorrow. I might go on the trike. The old car doesn't have winter tires. It depends on snow conditions by tomorrow. Overnight snow is forecast. The route to the museum is fairly flat. I just need to allow more travelling time.

 That was very odd. By sheer accident I clicked on the MSN news page symbol. Which I never normally do. I'd forgotten what it was.  Only to find a sad story about my former neighbours of nearly 30 years ago. The same surname. So presumably their son had taken over the business.

 17.45 The room has now risen to a much more comfortable 67F/19C.


~o~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment