15 Sept 2023

15.09.2023 A rewarding chat.

 ~o~

 Friday 15th. Bright. Up at 5.45. A sunny day is promised. No walk today.

 The bereavement councillor will he here at 10.30. I have been cleaning, vacuuming and tidying frantically as usual. I like to make a good impression. Show that I am making progress. That I am coping. Though god knows what it looks like to fresh eyes! 

 Which is why I keep taking pictures. The camera doesn't lie. It exposes the hideous reality of my hovel's interiors. Even to myself. Or, perhaps most importantly, to myself. There is potential, but it will demand willpower and investment in time and money. Which means endless DIY into the far future.

 9.30 Full sunshine. I have even been cleaning windows. Some of them once completely inaccessible. Hidden behind yellowed, once translucent tarpaulins on the outside. Windowsills full of ornaments denying all access. With many of the double glazing units blown. At least I know they are reasonably clean now. The view beyond not quite as obscured. It only took a couple of decades to finally reach them.

 The sun is shining through the eastern window and the greenhouse. Lighting up the whole ground floor. Unobstructed now that the shade nets have been taken down. I can see the stars through the window above my bed at night. Up through the clear glass of the greenhouse roof. The sun falls on my bed for hours each day. So I have been having my afternoon naps upstairs. I still need to do some homework on trimming Venetian blinds for the lounge windows.

 The front hedge has been lowered even further. To let the winter sun reach places where it hasn't been seen for years and years. There are still the stumps of conifers and some ornamental shrubs in the front garden. Which badly need attention. As do so many other things.

 11.45 Another fruitful conversation with my visitor.  I only cried once. Though there was lots of laughter too. The sun shone almost continuously. Bringing light to the many improvements since her last visit. She will be back at the end of January.

  14.00 I have some vital grocery shopping to do. Specific supermarket chains, all at a slightly greater distance, demand I make a choice of venue. 

 I went by car into town. Where I bought a number of venetian blinds. It was warm and sunny. I found a carpet which will fit the space beside the stairs. The stairs will have to be lifted. To allow me to slide the carpet under the stringer. Some items of furniture and the grandfather clock will have to me moved away too.

 Dinner was mackerel on toast. With tomatoes.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment