18 Sept 2023

18.09.2023 Bosch eBike Connect and Nyon updates.

 ~o~

 Monday 18th. A wet and windy day is promised. Up at 5.45. Sweating profusely in bed at 71F. I was having strange, ultra-detailed dreams, involving my wife. With twists of complete nonsense. The greenhouse roof is misted up. Down to the curved shoulders but not the vertical walls.

 6.45. It is dry but breezy. I shall have an early walk.

 7.30  Just back from my walk to the lanes. Mild but breezy. Too warm in a jumper and light jacket. Traffic in frantic, commuter mode. Brought the empty dustbins back.

 I didn't do the urgent shopping yesterday. Having detoured to my friend's before I reached the shops. I shall have to take a raincoat with me on the bike. Just in case of a local shower. The major rain is forecast for after lunch. A SE wind will make the return journey harder work than usual.

10.45 Returned from my shopping trip. It was windy but manageable. Slowing down helps. Or choosing a higher assistance mode and relaxing. 

 An idiot cleaner was working on a roadside cottage in a village. His van had two reels. One for water and presumably the other was a power cable. He had parked his van across the road from his project. Then he had gone around the back of the house. Taking his pressure washer lance with him. Leaving the cables stretched tightly, in mid air, right across the road! 

 I stopped and shouted to him across the back garden. He was too retarded to understand the simplest words I could muster. If a car had run into the stretched cable the lance would have been snatched from his grasp and god knows what damage. Or injury, it might have caused. 

 A Wurth van driver was too drunk to stay on the road. Despite it being only mid morning. The van brushed dangerously closely past me. Which was what first caught my attention. There was a total lack of oncoming traffic. Then the van crossed the white line marking the verge. Before swerving away. To cross the centre line of the road. The poor driving skills may explain the appallingly low score for Wurth on Trustpilot.

 I tried recharging the battery on my Moustache e-Bike while in situ. For the first time ever. I usually remove the battery for charging when I get home after a ride. There is a stipulation for temperatures within certain limits when charging. Indoor temperatures have always been optimum. It also removes the battery from an otherwise desirable e-bike. No battery? It can't go anywhere. Except as a very heavy, manual bike. From all the times I forgot to engage a drive mode after Nyon removal. I can vouch for the unwillingness of the e-bike to move far under my own power. It's like pedalling through thick treacle!

 There is a socket for the charger plug behind a rubber flap near the motor. The Nyon head showed the state of charge when I refitted it. Just to see if it did. I presume there is no need for the head to be in place for main battery charging. Its absence makes the bike much less attractive to thieves. The motor won't run without the head in place. Nor can any other head be substituted. The Nyon unit is paired to that particular e-bike and no other.

 It didn't seem to take very long to charge from 80-100% but I didn't time it. It had dropped 20% charge on my 20km ride to the shops in Sport mode. Over many rides I find that Sport mode usually uses 1% charge per kilometre. If I choose to leave 30% charge on a battery during a ride the Moustache is good for around 70ks. 

 I routinely charge to 100% because I use the bike so often. Without a clue how far I might be going next time. Two fully charged batteries will take me about 150km. Which is further than I care to ride in one day. At least so far. My recent, 138km/85 miles distance record. Was based on a lack of nutrition and fluids on a very hot day. A foolish mistake for someone who has been riding bikes for 70 years! I was simply too impatient to leave. When I could have taken rolls and/or bananas and a water bottle.

 There were map updates on offer on the Bosch Nyon today but none for Denmark. At least it made no effort to update. It just sat there with Denmark as the update choice. Famous last words! It just updated in seconds as I typed this. Guilty conscience? 183Mb.

 After the huge mound of curry of yesterday I needed a lighter meal. Two perfect poached eggs on toast.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment