22 Sept 2023

22.09.2023 103km more.

 ~o~

  Friday 22nd. Uniform, grey overcast. Up at 7am. I woke at 2 and 5am for a pee. Sweating profusely on the second "trip to the bathroom." I am still using a bucket on a small table at the foot of the bed. To minimise sleep disturbance. 

 I didn't light the stove last night. As the temperature in the lounge was 72F. It didn't feel at all cold like the previous night had. Not drinking anything after 6pm seems to work for me. Though at the cost of the loss of the enjoyment of a small beer and a coffee. Does this reduction in life's pleasures outbalance the benefits? 

8.30. Time for a walk? Plans for today? In no particular order. In your own time. A tabby cat is sitting on the edge of the parking space. It had become a bit of a regular visitor but remains shy. As do all the others. They run like hell at the mere sight of me.

 9.15 I was treated to an aerial display by a red kite this morning. Yesterday I saw lots of birds of prey. From two kestrels up to red kites and European buzzards. All taking advantage of the wind. To soar effortlessly. I reached home just now. To see dozens of light coloured birds moving quickly and nervously between the garden trees. One of them paused just long enough to be identified as a warbler. Perhaps they are gathering for their annual migration to the south.

 The weather is much too nice now to stay indoors. Mild and sunny without yesterday's wind. Another ride? But where shall I go? I get flashes of places I could visit. There were so many I rode to on the trike. Or in the car. I usually put up Google Maps and try to find somewhere interesting. Taking my lunch with me helped to stave off tiredness. I nibbled a micro Corny bar and drank apple juice at intervals. 

 My bottled water idea didn't work. The dispenser in the top was too fine and too slow to slake my thirst. I may have to buy a new water bottle. Those I once used must be 12-15 years old now. The plastic may have deteriorated in unknown ways. They are out in the damp shed somewhere. Probably gathering mould. I haven't seen any for sale recently. There used to be "organic" cycling bottles for sale in different places. 

 I plan to ride to Ringe. It has the ride from Espe to Ringe on the beautiful cycle path. Often without seeing another soul. About 40km each way from home. 

16.30 Safely back from a 103km ride to Espe, Ringe and back via Korinth. I called in on my friend on the way back. Where we enjoyed coffee outside in mild but breezy conditions. The sky seemed threatening at times and I was rained on twice on the way. Dry for the return journey. I changed batteries to allow me to use Turbo mode freely on the return journey. A tiny bird of prey left me standing at my 40km/hr into the wind. 25mph.

The council has been in contact. They have assured me of the low risk of flooding. After the earthworks in the fields are completed. I don't suppose they knew. That the back gardens of the houses on the road are regularly flooded in winter?  I feel more discussion is warranted.

 10.00 Dinner was beans on toast. With bananas and yogurt to follow.  I cannot tell a lie. I had coffee after dinner. Purely as a means to rehydration after a long day in the saddle. No stove required tonight. The sunshine had pushed the lounge up to 72F. It has now dropped to a comfortable 70F. 21C?

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment