13 Sept 2023

13.09.2023 Rake those leaves!

 ~o~

 Wednesday 13th. Overcast and a dry but cloudy morning is promised. Sunshine later. Heavy rain threatened elsewhere. Up at 6.45. Museum day. I shall have to ride there. 

 It stayed dry. Even for my ride home and back at lunch time. I raked moraines of fallen leaves from the gravel paths into a wheelbarrow. Then wheeled them all away to compost. A hideously inefficient way of dealing with the annual leaf fall from truly vast, mature trees. No to mention the adjoining wood.

 Later I helped in the storage of old equipment in the machine house. The 1940 harvester-binder is shown without its canvas, transport belts. Which are rolled and stored separately for the winter.

 It rained on me on the way home. Quite hard in fact. So that my cotton/ light denim[?] shorts are now too wet to keep on. Perhaps I should treat them with waterproofing fluid? They have lots of baggy pockets. So are useful for casual cycling when I don't need a jacket. The mobile phone does not lend itself to normal trouser pockets. I bought some tuna and mackerel on the way home too. Just to restock the larder. So I can have salad later.

 And salad it was. I have just discovered I have two sets of three tea towels. Unused and still in their packaging string and labels. Cooking class taught me that I do not need my lettuce to be swimming in the rinsing water. Despite my best efforts with a large colander. Just lay out the leaves on one half of a clean, dry, tea towel. Fold over the other half and cover. To press the water gently away. Thank you Sonya. 

 I also cut the lettuce into strips. So that I would not be lifting the whole plate full. Every time I chose to eat a piece of lettuce. I arranged the lettuce in a ring. Which is more sensible than a heap on one side but needs much more care. Otherwise the fish, carrots and cheese will not be readily accessible. 

 That was my mistake this evening. I only discovered these delights deliberately placed at the centre. Once the lettuce had been all but consumed. Next time I shall spread the grated carrots and cheese evenly over the lettuce. The enjoyment of the whole is just as important as the presentation. 

 The sharpness of the cheese can become the missing salad cream. I am not yet convinced I like mayonnaise. So dare not ruin a meal by spreading it liberally. The last bottle of mayonnaise went into the bin as all  but unused. After months in the fridge. Untouched and unloved, after a first taster.

 The first cold night this autumn is promised. Down to 8C locally. So I have closed the windows down to minimum ventilation. It has dropped to 70F/21C in the lounge from 73F last night. I might have to go up and find a warmer duvet. I needed a jumper to watch TV. After what seems like months in only a T-shirt.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment