7 Nov 2020

7.11.2020 Goose spotting.

 ~~

Saturday 7th 50F, heavy overcast. Sunshine promised for later. It was sightly cold on my hands as I walked to the lane. I could hear gunfire, shouting and dogs barking out on the fields but saw no sign of the hunters. A couple of vintage cars passed.

Further on a goose was standing on the verge close to the hedge. I took its photograph but kept my distance to avoid alarming the bird. Having it dash into the road would not be a good idea. My guess would be a Barnacle goose given its black breast and other markings.

It was still there on my return. Repeatedly shaking its head. The forecast was for thick fog overnight. Perhaps the goose had collided with the roadside trees or even a vehicle. It might have been stunned and would recover eventually. Or, perhaps it was simply exhausted from a long flight and would recover after a rest and nibbling some grass. As it was standing, rather than lying down, I thought it best to leave it to its own devices. There is also the risk of disease had I tried to handle it. What was I supposed to do? Carry it home under my arm?

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment