30 Aug 2020

30.08.2020 Timeless silence on a Sunday morning walk.

 ~~


Sunday 30th 56-68F, bright but rather cloudy. The cloud mostly cleared as a thin mist floated over the low hills. An early, hour and three quarters spent wandering the empty lanes and tracks. Lots of deer, birds of prey, Wood pigeons, crows and several woodpeckers.

I walked a large rural loop to take in the lake. Where I try to photograph distant water birds. The approach to the only accessible bank is always littered with wild Mallards. Their panic alerts the whole pond as bright chevrons paddle furiously towards the far shore. 

My cheap, camouflage jacket seems to be working. A young deer almost walked up to me as I snapped away, while standing completely still. It looked straight at me but was unable to convert me into a lethal danger. It was almost casual. Even when it turned and walked calmly back the way it had come.

The silence was almost total this morning. A complete lack of traffic noise until I finally returned to the main road. Time is strictly traffic dependent. Without traffic it could have been a century earlier. Apart from the lack of animals in the fields and the absence of clanging church bells. We pay an incredibly high price for the convenience of effortless and individual, private transport for the millions!

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment