2 Aug 2020

2.08.2020 Ooh look! It's a deer, Dear!

~~

Sunday 2nd August. 61F. Heavy overcast meant I had to put the table lamp on. It is dead calm at the moment. Very little sunshine promised.

I have to clean the car. It has been sitting still for so long that it has turned green with moss. The car is going to be checked tomorrow prior to its biennial, official inspection. 

The sky seems determined to remain grey and overcast today. Though I still enjoyed another, longer walk. Down the road, up the steep track to the forest and then back along the main track to the village. The boots are already, easily forgettable. About as good as it gets at this early stage of their career.

A deer rose from the crop and dashed across my path, just as I exited the forest. I certainly wasn't prepared for it but kept snapping away. Singularly failing to capture a really sharp and attractive image of it in full flight. I thought the composition of this one was quite pleasing. The very even lighting and wonderfully fluffy crop helps. I wasn't sure about the high, diagonal horizon but it seems to work in this case. Cutting it off removes all sense of scale to the background. [100/208mm, 1/320, f/6.3, ISO800 if anyone is interested.]

Only 230 snaps today, mostly landscapes. The longer lens provides a completely different perspective of many of my favourite views. It foreshortens and steepens inclines and adds visual drama. While simultaneously substituting for my 8x40 binoculars for checking distant detail. Both provide exactly the same magnification. Though the zoom lens is obviously masquerading as a Cyclops.

In the afternoon I rode about 12 miles looking for ponds with water birds to photograph. One village pond had ducks so tame it was the photographic equivalent of shooting goldfish in a barrel! Two adult Coots and three young mingled effortlessly with the ducks on land and water. Another 250 images.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment