7 May 2024

7.05.2024 Third time lucky? Dropper posts.

 ~o~

  Tuesday 7th 54F/12C [at 9am] After earlier overcast it has suddenly become sunny.

 Up at 7.30 after a difficult night. I had not gone to bed all day. To avoid problems with sleeping. Then I got up at 2.30. My mouth and chest were hurting. I was wide awake and struggling to turn over because of the intense pain. Then I started coughing. So I got up and sat on the computer watching YT videos. Finally I was struggling to stay awake. So I went back to bed at 6am.  

 Present 100 travel XLC dropper post dimensions.

I have managed two cool cups of coffee. While I carefully struggled my way through half a bowl of deliberately soggy porridge. I hadn't had anything at all since yesterday lunchtime. Though I didn't feel the slightest bit hungry. Dehydration is probably why I feel so awful. I'll keep sipping water as well as my normal beverages.


 13.10 The new, KS 150mm travel, dropper seat post arrived via GLS. Unfortunately it fell foul of the 220mm maximum insertion depth in the Moustache frame. 265mm insertion in a 220mm max. post depth. Which meant it won't go low enough to reduce the saddle height when fully lowered. 45mm is added to maximum possible insertion. The KS seemed a nicer bit of kit compared to the XLC. Better finished, all black and no ridiculous rotational play like the XLC.


 Looking at the insertion dimension charts for both makes of dropper post the XLC wins on shallow insertion. Ideally I want the dropper post collar just touching the frame at maximum insertion. For minimum saddle height when lowered. So I can safely reach the ground when seated. Then enough upward travel to bring me up to the correct saddle height for pedaling efficiently. I compared the 125mm travel KS insertion depth of 237mm. This would leave the collar resting 17mm above the frame. 

The present 100mm XLC is 55mm above the frame when the saddle is at the correct ride height. 215mm to the saddle clamp when raised. When the saddle is lowered it adds those 55mm to the minimum saddle height. So I can't reach the ground when seated! Proven by several sideways falls when dismounting!

 Here's an alternative:

    XLC Dropper Post 125mm travel:
    Model: XLC SP-T010
    Colour black
    Rider weight: 60-120 kg
    Ø31,6 mm. - 400 mm. - 125 mm travel.
    Material: Aluminium 6061 - T6
    Vægt: 535 gram
    Installation height: 182 mm.
    Pipe length: 218 mm.

   400mm total length - 182 = 218mm. Seat tube max allowable insertion 220mm. 2mm clearance. Nice low saddle height. Ride height? 215mm from seat tube clamp -125mm travel = 90mm insertion depth. I am hoping that the extra 25mm of travel means the 55mm height can be reduced to 30mm. 25mm lower should give me safe touchdown. 

 My normal ride saddle height is 73cm from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top surface of the saddle. Insertion depth is the critical factor here. Otherwise any longer travel, dropper post would fit. Allowing lower and safer saddle heights when the dropper post is fully depressed. 

 Neither dropper post manufacturers nor frame designers seem to understand this simple fact. Suspension will sag under the rider's weight. However, putting one's foot/feet down may unload the suspension. Raising the depressed saddle height even more. If the rider slides forwards off a saddle which is already too high. Then the suspension will definitely rise to its relaxed position. Making dismounting/remounting even more difficult. Throwing one's leg over a high saddle becomes even more challenging.

  I have ordered an XLC SP-T101 with 125mm travel. The KS 150mm will have to go back.

   18.45 It has been sunny all days but I have hardly been outside. I warmed the house from the greenhouse. Then opened one greenhouse end door to limit overheating. 

 Not sure what to do about dinner. Toast would have been ideal but too hard and sharp. I am still getting blood in my mouth. Scotch broth and another bread roll? I still have two tins which my wife ordered from the UK. I'll have to check the dates. July 24. That was lucky!

 Dinner was a whole tin of Heinz Beef Broth and a bread roll. I gave the soup a slow heat for ten minutes. It tasted fine. I am finishing off with a small carton of organic apple juice from Netto. It is delicious.

 

  ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment