31 May 2024

31.05.2024 Trials and tribulations!

 ~o~

  Friday 31st 58F/14C. Heavy overcast. Threat of thundery showers. Up at 6am.

 8.30 Just returned from a short walk to the drives. The heavy overcast and spitting rain did not inspire me to go further. 

 A trio of professional tree planters has arrived. To decorate the banks of the neighbour's huge new drive. They were equipped with belt mounted hip boxes for carrying lots of small trees or bushes. 

 I wasn't near enough to identify the species. The mounds of sacks lying on the ground suggests a great many trees will be available to be planted. Given the great length of the drive and its broad banks it will take some time. Despite the experts calmly setting to work.

 I am still waiting to see what the neighbours will do about the Japanese knotweed outbreak near the road.  Mowing is never a good idea with this highly invasive plant. Every small piece of chopped material has the potential to become a new plant. It is already well established. From infected soil brought in by the council. For reinforcing the verge years ago.

  Rather more desirable plants are coming up in the greenhouse. Two types of cherry tomatoes. Grown from the pips of commercial tomatoes. Meanwhile, the "High Vis" Cornus, outside the kitchen window, is flourishing. The variegated bush beside is it is also in flower. 

 Both these plants and others, struggled for years against the odds. When towering conifers and a tall beach hedge completely dominated the front garden. After my wife's death I cut down the conifers and lowered the front hedge to head height. The much brighter available light has rather encouraged the weeds.

 I have been trying to get through to the Patient Transport service. To inquire about getting to my early morning appointment. It seems they have a major technical problem. A continuing problem. Judging by the news headlines. 

 I waited in the telephone queue, entered my NI number when requested. Counted down from 6 people waiting to 1st. Only to be dropped and sent to another number. This was repeated until I gave up. 

 It seems impossible to catch a bus from my nearest bus stop. Which is not far from the end of the drive but 5km from the nearest village. None will get me to my appointment by 7.30am in the city. Preferably earlier, for obvious reasons. A taxi would cost well over £70 equivalent. 28km one way. I checked.

 Driving there might leave my car sitting in the hospital car park for several days. First day of parking is free as a patient. It costs 12kr per hour [£1.40] between 8am and 4pm after the first day. Free, long term parking on the outskirts of the vast hospital site. Again, doable, if I allow myself enough time.

 I would [presumably] take a bus home on the same day as the procedure. NO driving allowed for two days after the procedure. No mention of chances of survival on public transport. No unnecessary bleeding on the seats please! No passing out and missing your stop!

 I would then have to bus back to the hospital to collect the car when I am suitably recovered. Inconvenient but certainly doable.

 I haven't a clue whether I will be sent home or kept in. It all depends on so many variables. YT videos suggest a huge range of outcomes and recovery times from this procedure. Making extra holes in people, after deliberately thinning their blood, does seem a tad careless.  😊

11.40  I tried the patient transport line again. I am now placed 14th in the queue. The line closes at 12.00  Life is too short. Let's not bother!

 Complete change of subject: The Brooks B67 is flaring badly and ridiculously uncomfortable. It almost doubles in width when pressed in the middle with the Mk1 thumb. Increasing nose bolt tension doesn't help. 

 I laced one of my B17s years ago and it saved it having a very short life at that typical mileage of 10,000km+. The Brooks leather sags in the middle and flares unless it is laced. Retensioning simply stretches the leather into a delta. Without solving the underlying [sic] sagging and flaring issues. 

 The B67 doesn't have much spare material below the embossed badges. So I will have to punch the lacing holes within the area of the badges. Preferably avoiding the B67 mark to allow later identification. 

 Lacing requires two or four holes. Two is neatest. The leather seems well able to survive the tension of the lace without tearing or cutting. Though four holes would spread the loads more evenly. A black, round, shoe lace will disappear against the leather. 

 I couldn't find any laces at home. So I fitted a temporary zip-tie. It works but is a bit brutal on the eye. I shall buy a round, black, shoe lace when I find an outlet. 

 18.15. The upstairs tool rack has been moved into the empty dormer window. Where I sat at the home computer for two decades. The laundry basket has been brought into the light on the now empty stage. With six, large plastic tubs allowing some basic sorting. Plus rapid transport downstairs to the washing machine. 

 Two loads of towels have dried on the outside, rotary airer. Despite the dire warnings of thundery cloudbursts. This after the first feeble attempt to dampen my spirits. It remained dry but occasionally cloudy. Peaking around 65F/18C with periods of sunshine. End doors opened in the greenhouse to shed the excess heat. 

 Dinner will be salad. With tuna and boiled, Spanish, new potatoes. It's odd how Denmark still has no consumer protection. They had it 60 years ago in the UK. 

 The Danish organic, "snack" carrots were slimy. Only the day after being bought! The Danish crispy lettuce was anything but. Half brown, half discoloured. Probably from being trod on by the cheap, seasonal labour they must hire. The workers had even thrown some dead lettuce leaves into the bottom of the tub! Then they add insult to injury with bullshit marketing printed on the packaging. "Produced in Denmark with care!" What utter bollocks!


  ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment