8 Jul 2022

8.07.2022 Five weeks sitting at the builder's merchants!

 ~~

 Friday 8th 52F. Very breezy. Dark but brightening in the NE. Small, fast moving clouds are heading eastwards.

 Up at 3.15. Head spinning with worries about more tidying. The local blackbird never draws breath! 24x7!

 I have to go and collect the new bedroom window. Plus some timber to frame the frame within the larger, original frame. I hope I can lift the thing into place with the opening windows removed! That would make it much lighter.

 6.00 Breakfast over. I went back to bed at 4.30 and dozed.

 6.45. Walked to the lanes and beyond. An hour and a quarter. Saw lots of hares.
 
12.15. I have just unloaded the window and some framing timber. It was heavy! When I collected the window it clearly showed a delivery date of end of May. So the window has been sitting at the local builder's merchants for 5 WHOLE WEEKS!

 The whole point of my order was quick delivery. They promised me two month delivery but never told me it had arrived! I have been in their outlet dozens of times since then. The brand new, made to measure window has been there so long, it has gathered a layer of dust. Pathetic!

  I have lifted the opening elements off the hinges. All the weight is in the glass. Triple glazing. The central post is attached to one hinged element so that a full fire rescue opening is available. As ordered. The central post is secured to the outer frame with inset, fold-over, sliding bolts. Neat and unobtrusive. The bare, outer frame is easily handled.

12.40  Time for lunch and a rest. Not too tired to put up a toilet roll holder.  My wife would never let me put one up in case I cracked a tile. The tiles which I fitted myself form floor to ceiling on four walls..

 I used a spear point, carbide tip to start the hole through the tile glaze. Once it was large enough to safely clear the masonry drill I swapped over.

 I made a fancy toilet roll holder on my lathe years ago. With brass ball ends and decoration. She still wouldn't let me fix it to the wall.  So, the toilet roll rested on the corner of the bath for 25 years. Where it would take an occasional dive into the wet bath and be discarded. Or would be swept onto the floor by dressing gowns, etc. 

 The afternoon was spent in the observatory capturing the sun's likeness. 

20.00  Dinner was salad. I hadn't bought any more eggs. So I had to go without. There was too much to go on the plate anyway. The carrots [in the fridge] were all slimy again. I managed to find just one which wasn't. Tasted a slice before adding the rest to the plate.

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment