6 Jul 2022

6.07.2022 My kingdom for a clothes horse!

~~
 
  Wednesday 6th 57F, bright start but a cloudy day is promised.
 The image shows progress being made on the logging of the chestnut. I can now start to move the heap to somewhere less "eye-catching."

 Up at 5.45 after being awake for ages. My shin is a bit tender around the wound but not showing signs of infection. 

 9.30. 64F. Sunny periods. My walk lasted for an hour and forty minutes. Down to the village. Where I took the main track to the forest. Lots of tree harvesting in progress. A deer was grazing on a clear felled area below me.

 Then I foolishly crossed 500 yards of clear felling on the hill above me. Which had grown a thick cover of reeds and thistles. Not my brightest decision but at least it was dry underfoot. 

 Having reached a familiar track I looped back to the entrance to the woods. Then returned to the road along the main track. Lots of birds, butterflies and wild flowers.

 Not sure what plans I have for today. Cycling might be a bad idea with my sore shin. No point in aggravating it. In case I find myself a long way from home and in severe pain. That would be very silly.

 Which leaves more log sawing. Or more tidying. Or both. Or I could do neither and do some solar imaging instead. Or, take pictures of the sun in addition to all of the above. Or go shopping in the car. Or do nothing at all. 

 I spent some time in the observatory before it clouded over. Posted one of my images on the solar forums. It wasn't great but acceptable.

 13.00 66F. I have just received notification of an appointment for an MRI scan in mid August. Quick service, but no rush then. Which suggests I am not in dire need of saving.

16.00 66F. Fleeting sunny periods. 

 After an afternoon nap I took more pictures of my wife's garden. More and more flowers are appearing. I am experimenting with the 12-60mm lens. For its wide angle, depth of field and close-up potential.

 It is too cloudy to do any more solar imaging for the moment.

 I have completely emptied the overflowing laundry basket. I ought to thin down the excess of worn out clothing. It is handy to have so many choices but this requires constant sorting and selection. Some of my t-shirts must be twenty years old. And look it! More holes than a string vest. Why do I continue to wear them? Because I am isolated?

 The greenhouse is providing a quick boost to drying when necessary. I forgot to open the end doors this morning and it reached 94F. Opened the doors and it soon dropped to 75F. The open doors provide a through draught to help the clothes dry. I can see the t-shirts flapping gently.

 The roof provides protection from showers. A clothes line is inefficient. So I need an allotted space out there and a better clothes airer. Ikea do a wooden one.
 
 Or not. I have just drilled and driven screws into the end of all the dowels. Of the 1960s bought, secondhand, folding, beech, clothes horse. It had been coming apart for years. Because the original panel pins holding it together had rusted away. I have no idea if my wife would have approved. Probably not! Another roundtoit! More guilt.

 Now I had better lean how to "deadhead" flowers. I believe it is essential to ensure more flowers later. Pull off or snip off? I'll be back!

 Well, that was easy! I watched an intelligent and articulate rose grower's video on YT. No blaring jingle-jangle moo-zak in the background. No bullshit. No old wife's tales. Straight to the point.

 I finished the job in a couple of minutes with a sharp pair of secateurs. They look almost antique. With a nickel finish and leather locking strap. Just one of a dozen, or more pairs, left by my wife. I chose the sharpest.

 There wasn't a rose bloom left worth saving on the gorgeous rambling rose. It had some vicious spines but I avoided serious injury. Hide gloves next time. 

 I cut back to the just above the next multiple leaf cluster below the bloom stalk. Exactly as shown in the video. There were dozens of spent heads. The rose is now bereft of blooms. Fingers crossed for another flush. I love that colour and the large, simple blooms. They almost seem to glow in the dark when it is overcast or as dusk draws in.

 Time to think about dinner. I'm going with mackerel, in tomato sauce, on toast. With tomato soup and a wholemeal bread roll. Another mess! I got sidetracked with the laundry and burnt the mackerel on toast. It didn't need the full 25 minutes which I set on auto pilot. Which is typical for pasties. I cut the crusts off and it was fine.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment