9 Jul 2022

9.07.2022 Quick bathroom makeover? No.


 ~~

 Saturday 9th 59F. Cloudy with bright periods. A cloudy and windy day is forecast.  Up at 6am.

 8.00 A brisk walk to the lanes and back. A contrast of dramatic skies and fleeting sunshine on the fields. Light traffic. Wild flowers in the hedgerows and verges. A warbler is singing constantly in the garden.

 I might drive to the city to buy a new bathroom sink. The old one was bought secondhand, decades ago. It is now stained with ugly water hardness. The massive, vintage, supporting brackets are heavily rusted and highly visible. The size and squareness of the old sink eats up valuable space in the small bathroom. 

 Meanwhile, the DIY, discount chains don't carry stock. Online purchases only. The bigger outlets in the city do carry stock. So I could replace the sink with a modern, half round, wall mounted, ceramic sink  today. The bathroom still houses a tiered trolley and the small spin drier. Which take up lots of room. 

 The trolley has no value to me. Because I have no need of any of the things my wife stored on there. My toothbrush and toothpaste can go in a glass. To be housed in the wall mounted, chrome basket which I have already bought. The spin drier could go under the kitchen worktop overhang. There would then be room to swing a cat in the bathroom. Assuming I had a cat. Or the spin drier could sit in the newly empty corner of the bathroom.

13.00 Lunch over. Returned safely from the big city. A sink, flexible SS hoses and two compression joints to Pex pipe. 

 Plus [finally] a stainless steel wall mounting holder for my kitchen towel roll. I have been searching everywhere and failed to find one. Until I visited Silvan today. A metal table leg in brushed steel.  

 Just one of a series in different lengths. This one just happens to be perfect for the task. Where to put it? I can't have a roll of tissue hanging over the toaster! Nor over the hob. Needs serious thought.

 18.00 The bathroom sink is functionally installed. Though not completed. It took three trips in the car to get everything I needed. 130km in all! I haven't sealed the back with silicone yet. Because the tiles and grout still need more cleaning. I want to be able to remove the sink to work on the wall. 

 One of the old fixing screws is visible where it broke off while trying to unscrew it. This will want to be treated somehow. I'll probably drill it out and cover the hole with silicone. I also want a new waste trap and plughole. The old ones are very scruffy. A chrome trap would be much smarter. It would reflect the light pink, colour scheme.

 I went with a half round, 50cm wide sink. There were three size options. This one [medium]  is 6" narrower than the old sink. The gentle curves provide much more clearance to move around. Compared to the very square corners and greater depth of the old sink.

 I haven't decided where to put the toothbrush mug and soap basket holder yet.  The dispenser bottle of hand wash doesn't want to stand on the new sink. I changed to a more sensible bottle. 

 The previous one had a tiny, tapered bottom half. A consumer rip-off as well as a stupid, unstable design. A tapered bottle has only a tiny fraction of the volume of a normal cylindrical bottle.

 Dinner was mackerel in tomato sauce with tinned chopped tomatoes. I had a buttered bread roll too. To soak up the sauce.

  

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment