10 May 2021

10.05.2021 Birdsong.

 ~~

Monday 10th 60-68F, bright but very cloudy. Hardly any wind. Already warmer than it has been in ages. Expected to reach over 70F today. It didn't. Not quite and felt cooler because of the cloud and wind.

Though it felt warm and humid as I walked to the lanes. I retreated to the verge, as usual, on the approach of lorries. There seemed to be far more of them than usual. None of the drivers waved their thanks for my thoughtfulness.

Swallows are also increasing in numbers. I must have seen four today. The first warbler was singing unseen in the roadside hedgerow. No deer were visible today. While oil seed rape is competing boldly, with the first flush of leaves, for my attention in the landscape. Lots of white blossom too. The grain crops are all still looking like foot tall grass. Only their colour differentiates them to my untrained eye so far.

A short trip in the car mid-morning. I saw a Marsh harrier hunting over a field very close to the main road. The garden is filled with bird calls.  I recognised noisy Wrens, Blue tits, Great tits, Green finches, Chaffinches, Sparrows and a warbler today. The tiny warbler flew up to my dormer window. Hovered and looked for spiders in the corners. The tits often do that too. Their speed and agility on the wing is amazing.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment