24 Nov 2022

24.11.2022 Lamps galore!

 ~~

 Thursday 24th 43F/6C. Another grey day, but a milder, 6C, is forecast.

 Up at 6am. Fortnightly cooking class. Followed by a visit to the doctor. To discuss my waterworks and deliver a diary recording several day's frequency and volume. 

 It took me seven months [since my wife died] to finally add hand wash. In a dispenser bottle. To the kitchen worktop by the sink. I fitted a hook for a hand towel as soon as I brought in the new working surface. Now several months ago. I fitted a chrome wall bar for a kitchen paper towel roll holder soon afterwards. 

 For two and half decades we would always have to go out to the [often cold] bathroom to wash our hands or dry them. Such simple changes are so much more convenient and energy saving. Being slightly warmer in the kitchen the hand towel has a chance to dry. In the cold of the bathroom it never does. 

 The milder conditions have allowed the upstairs temperature to remain at 65F/18C overnight. The stove was allowed to die down by mid evening. The oil-filled radiator is easily maintaining 55-57F/13-14C in the kitchen. The unheated bathroom has risen naturally from 44 to 47F/ 7 to 8C. 

 I took a shower, without my usual pre-heating of the bathroom with the fan heater. Due to a lack of time. It was quite comfortable because I had closed the [usually open] window venting. You can tell when a bathroom is cold because it fills with thick "steam." Even when the water is deliberately set at luke warm. The temperature rose by 2F during my short stay. I kept the door closed and opened both windows wide to be rid the steam. Then closed the windows and opened the door, as usual, after a few minutes.

 On such seeming trivialities I can judge whether I actually need a costly heat pump installation. An installer had given me a price for a smaller model to heat only the kitchen and bathroom. When I requested a price for installing a large, "whole house" system he could not comply. He claimed that the wholesalers are holding onto specific manufacturers [Panasonic] for their own installs. 

8.00  Still dark grey overcast but just light enough to risk a quick walk. 

8.50 A quarter of an hour walk. Then I lit the stove while I made morning coffee. Almost time to go.

 Today I was  mostly responsible for making 3kg of bashed [sic] potatoes. No, not mashed. Bashed. I cleaned the potatoes and then boiled them. Followed by mixing them with oil and Timian in a  large bag. They were then laid out in two, large, baking trays. Then slightly squashed. Either with the flat of the hands over baking paper or a flat implement. They were then baked in the oven until golden and wrinkly. I made a dressing for the broccoli salad as well. 

 This afternoon I took about twenty of my wife's knitting books to a wool shop. I simply handed them over for them to do what they would with them. The delightful lady owner was thrilled to see several books by Kaffe Fassett and others. Lots of older fashions are coming back around. This was so much more satisfying than giving them away to yet another charity shop. Where they have forgotten you two second later and you were lucky even to get a simple thanks. 

 I moved on from there to a real, village, electrical shop. Where I bought more of the beautiful green lampshades. Of which I  already have three in the kitchen and one in the front hall. The shades have a less tapered form than usual. With a fine green cloth finish when lit. Which I find very satisfying.  The shades clip over the bulb itself. Allowing a jaunty tilt or upright to taste.

 I stated a request for a bulb holder adapter. To suit my antique bronze, Art Nouveaux, table lamp. This resulted in the opening of a special compartmented case. With umpteen possibilities. Several items were chosen and given to me free of charge. 


 I want to use the bronze "poppy" lamp on the chest of drawers in the corner of the lounge. I think table lamps will be far preferable to overhead or wall lamps. They can be switched at a distance on a long flex. Without needing new, wall switches and fixed cabling.

 The visit to the doctor resulted in a claimed, low impact pill. To try to solve my waterworks frequency problem with old age. Hopefully without side effects.

 19.00 42F. Time to think about dinner. Cod in batter, with pasta, peas and tinned tomatoes.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment