2 Nov 2022

2nd November 2022 Tiling ongoing.

 ~~~

 Wednesday 2nd 51F/10.6C. Without any sunshine it is getting colder indoors. 62F/16.5C upstairs this morning. It has been stable at 64F/18C for some time. It doesn't sound like much of a difference but it matters. The fall in temperature is noticeable.

Up at 5.30. Wednesday is farm museum day. I need a walk. My lower back is aching again. Probably all that bending over the hall tiles yesterday. My fleece "painting" trousers are plastered in tile adhesive. They were long overdue for the bin. Finally I have an excuse to get rid of them. Once I have finished the tiling.

7.00 Bright enough to see outside. Overcast and windy again. 

 8.30 Brief sunshine. Showers are forecast for lunchtime but we are on the SW edge of the incoming weather. Just back from a walk to the lanes. 

 Earlier I scraped between the tiles with a screwdriver. Then went over the tiles repeatedly with a wet sponge. Before laying newspaper in the kitchen, hall and bathroom. My slippers had been treading the adhesive onto the tiles in other rooms. Not a serious problem but it will save time. Not having to clean the other floors while I am busy in the hall. 

 Now for quick shower and then I head for the museum. Every day, since I started volunteering there, it has been sunny at least some of the time.

 At the museum I worked on the machine house extension again. Up on the roof fitting and screwing down the steel, ridge profiles. We were very lucky to have finished only a minute before it started pouring down. 

 The building contractors have moved on from repairing a shed section in the barn. To repairing the old kitchen and gable end of the farmhouse itself. There had been considerable subsidence. Causing walls to crack and crumble and heavy supporting timbers to drop. 

 14.45 Back from the museum and shopping. I ought to look at the architrave shortening before even considering the tile grouting. 

 I used the oscillating multi-tool with a new blade. So it took only seconds to cut out the architraves for the tiles to slip underneath. In the image above I have laid these tiles in place but not yet fixed them with adhesive. My tiling is not remotely perfect but conveys a country cottage atmosphere. To go with the higgledy piggledy cottage. 

 I shan't bother to grout the tiles until tomorrow afternoon. After my return from the Thursday cooking class. I also need to make new thresholds for the bathroom and lounge. Otherwise the edges of the new tiles will be vulnerable.

The tiles affected by the architraves have now been stuck down and the adhesive cleaned up. So I can go ahead with the grouting tomorrow.

Dinner was cheese on toast with halved tomatoes, tomato soup and a bread roll.

I lit the stove to quickly lift indoor temperatures. Two beech logs in series was enough with all the internal doors open.


~~

2 comments:

  1. I've followed your blog for many years but haven't checked in since pre-covid I think. Sorry to hear about the death of your wife. My practical advice would be to buy a slow cooker and make lots of stews/ casseroles etc. That way you can batch cook and freeze the excess and not have to worry so much about meals day to day. I appreciate you cooking skills may be limited but I read you're having cookery lessons so that's encouraging. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Andrew.
    I have finally been able to comment by using Chrome.

    ReplyDelete