14 Nov 2022

14.11.2022 Don't mention the war!

 ~~

  Monday 14th 46F/8C. Overcast. Up at 4.50. Breakfast and then a [supposedly] quick shower. The problem was a nosebleed. I was sitting the the bath and looked down to see the water was dark red. I hadn't been aware my nose was bleeding while I washed my hair. Hammer House of horror red it was! A blood bath! A swift bung of tissue to block my nostril and I could continue. 

I [quickly] drove in the dark to the home of my British friend by 6am. Where we left immediately in his [real] car for the 7am ferry to Southern Jylland. There we headed for a shopping trip on the German border. The sheer scale of supermarkets and malls was amazing. The range eclipsing anything in Denmark. The prices much lower in many cases but not all.

 Back home on the ferry and then home by 16.45 as dark descended. I'd like to thank my friend for doing all the driving and showing me around the shops.

 The house was cold at 57F/ 14C so I had to light the stove immediately. The kindling, which is sold in sacks locally, from split pallets, won't burn! Not even with a good draught. The moisture content has dropped to 15% after keeping it in the lounge and still it wont burn!

 The estate agent was absolutely correct. A house needs a continuous form of heating in winter. If the occupant can't be present, to feed a stove, then an alternative is vital. I tried an oil filled mini radiator last year for the kitchen and that helped to keep the frost at bay. The 'fridge doesn't like being really cold and turns itself off.

 After wasting an hour and several newspapers I finally managed to light the stove with older kindling from the shed. So it must be the new kindling which is bad. It burned once I had a lots of flames from the older stuff.

 Dinner was two perfect poached eggs on toast. With baked beans. No picture. My camera was hiding from me at the time I needed it.

 I'd also like to thank those who were worried about me. When I didn't post to my blog until this evening. The nose bleed put paid to most of my early morning plans.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment