23 Nov 2022

23.11.2022 Modern slavery for old farts.

 ~~

 Wednesday 23rd  39F/4C. Autumn weather returns. A breezy but grey forecast with slightly higher temperatures. The temperature is 62F/17C upstairs but feels much colder. I had to put on my duvet jacket over the fleece.

 My blogging station with newly added storage capacity. Stop laughing at the back or it's detention!


 Up at 5.00. Aching all over from yesterday's repeated heavy lifting. The boxed books were bad enough. Then the box-shelving units at 1m x 1m x 39cm. Which were right at my limit for lifting such bulky and heavy items up the steep stairs. I just wanted them to be gone from the lounge. They are now full of the junk which always surrounds my computer desk. They even look the part. If I was in a cubical in open plan office.

 I now have a table lamp on the right side shelving unit to light the keyboard. I type quite rapidly with four fingers but my accuracy is poor. Requiring frequent typo correction. I have been typing since I was 16. Or about 60 years. Despite occasional attempts to learn to touch type. I have never really improved to my own satisfaction. Spelling checkers are a lifesaver! 

 I rotated the chest of drawers in the corner of the lounge to look across the room. It seemed happier like that. Not so much an exclamation mark at the end of the room. More of a full stop.

 It is museum day! The morning at the museum started quietly. Or rather noisily. I had to mark out screw positions for fixing corrugated sheet steel to the huge, sliding, portal doors to the machine house extension. Then punch small pilot holes with a hammer and sharp object.

 Soon, several of us were driven to town to perform modern slavery. We had to dig up then lift 60x60x7cm paving slabs upright. Each weighing 65kg/143lbs! For others, with sack trucks, to wheel them away to waiting pallets. I was already tired from yesterday's lifting. So I started slowly and warmed up. It rained on and off all morning. 

 We returned to the museum for lunch. Though I drove home as usual. Returning later to clear vast quantities of leaves. Which were dumped in a huge cardboard box on top of a wheelbarrow. Then trundled off to be dumped in the woods to join the heaps of compost. The rain continued well into the afternoon. The doctor's appointment is tomorrow. I had the dates mixed up.

 My nice neighbour called in the afternoon. Confirming they are holding their neighbourhood party this weekend. This is their first Christmas here since buying an old farmhouse in this tiny hamlet. 

 I really must fit a proper door knocker. People never like to knock loudly enough for a deaf old fart like me to hear clearly. It was sheer luck I heard anything at all. Pardon? I am having my hospital hearing test in readiness for hearing aids next week.

 18.30 43F/6C. I am working up my courage to tackle the washing up. No washing up? No dinner! Will he cheat and get more crockery out of the cupboard? Read the next exciting [?] instalment! 🙄

 Washing up completed. Dinner was cheese on toast. Followed by tomato soup. No excuses. I overdid the cheese. Nor did I find any acceptable tomatoes at the shops. 


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment