22 Nov 2022

22.11.22 Redistribution.

 ~~

 Tuesday 22nd 32F. A cold, grey, rather windy day is promised. With a wet afternoon and maximum temperature of 2C. 

 Up at 6.30. Back aching. Coughing up phlegm. The stove was still going well at bedtime. I pondered adding a final log to the red glow but decided against it.

 8.00 It is so dark this morning that I will have to delay my walk for safety. Everything is moving in the wind. The thin snow covering is clinging on where it can. 61F/16C upstairs. I should probably light the stove now instead of when I get back. 

 After being recommended by various sources I approve of inverted fire preparation. A log on the bottom plate. Followed by packing around it with newspaper and kindling laid on top. After frequent failures with the logs on top it now works every time. I usually add a log on top of the kindling. For a longer, initial burn without needing to be fed more logs.

_____________________________________

 Every bereavement, in a loving relationship, leaves a rocky, deserted island of misery.

_____________________________________

 You can be too rich to be committed to an asylum. Or even to be tried in court. But even billionaires need pay nothing to rave on Twatter. To earn a second fortune from commercializing, victim blaming. Musk's mechanical intelligence fooled him into believing he has the wisdom of Solomon. A common enough mistake for every smug dictator and modern slaver. He stands on the [downtrodden] shoulders of those who work for him. Never, the other way around. I used to admire his many projects but he has  now proved himself little more than just another greedy tyrant.

__________________________________

9.30 Morning coffee is over. My walk to the lanes was unremarkable. Though the local group of wind turbines was not turning. The nearest was facing into the cold wind. The second away from the wind. I wore my GripGrab 2+2 winter mitts and was perfectly comfortable. My Ventile winter jacket, with the hood up, kept me cosy over a fleece jacket. 

 I think I am going to move some of the boxes of books upstairs. To make room for further progress in the lounge. The heavy boxes will want to be near the edges of the floor for maximum support. I will move the tubs of clothing from behind the clothes rail. The tubs weigh practically nothing even when full. So can be placed more sensibly. Trying to reach them through the clothes on the rail is very frustrating. Moving the tubs temporarily to the middle of the room reminded me what I had been missing. My winter long johns, gloves, hats, etc.

 13.00 35F/2C Heavy overcast and windy. With rain and occasional snow flurries. Sixteen removal boxes full of books are now resting on the floor in the bedroom. You would not believe how heavy they are. Getting them up the 55º stairs was quite a struggle!  I think I might bring at least one of the box/bookshelf units upstairs too. They would provide some useful vertical storage. Perhaps backed onto the large bookshelf sitting in the triangle between the chimney and sloping walls.

 The lounge is looking slightly more empty now. Though the stack of drawers is still looming. They'll have to go upstairs too. After I have finished lunch. With the box units gone I can move the large chest of drawers into the corner. 

 14.30 After stapling the hardboard back onto the shelves I fought the weight of the box units upstairs. It was very close as to which of us would win. Right on the limit! The first was placed back to back against the large bookshelf containing the best [boxed] china and glass. Where it made a decent storage space right next to the computer. 

 The other unit is still hovering without purpose or a finding a new home. It could go in place of the computer and printer trolley on the other side of the computer desk. Which would hide the untidy mess on the "stage." Which hasn't been touched for months. While providing the missing storage space on that side. 

 The second box unit is now installed on the left. The computer is lying on its side on top. It has an SSD hard drive so won't notice its orientation. The sockets/ports on the front are just as easily reached and easier to see at eye level. The ventilation grills are facing upwards and backwards. So no obstruction there.

The big chest of drawers is now in the corner of the lounge but open to further discussion as to whether this is its ideal spot. Its broad top can easily absorb a few ornaments and a useful table lamp. Its voluminous drawers can hold whatever I need. It might be better on the left wall instead of against the brick wall.

 17.30 36F/2C. I took some pictures of the lounge now that it is almost cleared and was horrified how awful it still looks! The ceiling and cross beam are next for a coat of white paint. Then I need to explore how to best to cover the long wall with more plasterboard. 

 Dinner was mackerel on toast. Followed by tomato soup and bread roll. Sitting at the table. Which made me feel more lonely than ever. The only time I have eaten alone was when my wife was staying with her mother in Denmark. That was over 27 years ago.

 

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment