7 Oct 2022

7.10.2022 Excessive hirsute adornment!

 ~~

 Friday 7th 51F. Heavy overcast and windy but dry.  Up at 6.15. 

 08.20. Time for a walk.

 9.30 52F. Just another walk to the lanes in light traffic. The combination of wind and temperature made it cold on my hands. Only slightly unpleasant but not painful. While I was snug in my down sweater. 

 A Red kite soared a little way off above the fields. Moving only slowly away. As a female kestrel crossed the road. I saw another flock of brown birds. Almost the same size as female blackbirds but more tan in colour. They flow effortlessly in tight groups. I saw hundreds together in the hedgerows yesterday from the car. They seem quite nervous.

 I found some floor tiles at a discount warehouse yesterday. They seemed too smooth, uniform and smart for the entrance hall. Completely out of character. I need something more "agricultural" or rustic. There is also the matter of level. The concrete floor needs smoothing out.

 It was surprising how the deep red, Indian carpet "runner" soaked up the light. The bare, grey concrete made the hall seem much lighter. Lesson learned. The [home made] entrance door needs painting white. If it is to stay at all. I'd like some glass and proper seals. I need more light. Not more cold air!

 The big, new mirror on the chimney upstairs is pointing out some very unflattering things. Things I had completely forgotten about. There hasn't been a proper, full length mirror in this house until now. Just little wall mirrors with the back light from windows throwing the viewer literally into silhouette. 

 My posture is that of an old man. My knees and my back are bent. Despite my ridiculous level of overall fitness. My wife used to mention this regularly. Stand upright! 

 Let's not forget the bad hair day. The badger-like, beard and moustache. Both badly in need of a trim. My wife used to [more or less gently] remind me of these things too. You could say she provided my self discipline and [basic] pride in appearance. In the total absence of seeing these things for myself. 

 Now I have a big mirror instead of a caring wife. With enough light and length to point out the glaringly obvious. The bent back, the scruffy clothes and the overall excess of hairiness. Not the image I want to convey at all. Nor had remotely imagined. 

 I had seen some old fart reflected in the shop windows yesterday. It might as well have been somebody else for all the notice I took. My new mirror is honest. But as cruel as the bullies at every school I ever attended.  

11.40 Beard, moustache and eyebrows duly attended to. My wife hated long and straggly eyebrows. No idea why.

 13.20 56F. Still windy and overcast. Just as I reached for the bread rolls, for lunch, I discovered there were none. So it was off to the shops before I could eat. 

 ___________________________________

 Six months on and I have just found the courage to read my blog. From the time of my wife's last few days. Inevitably accompanied by my crying like a child. So much for courage!! ______________________

After a bit of online research I drove to the local builders merchants. They just happened to have some examples of creamy-grey, rough textured tiles. Light enough in colour to be neutral in the rather dark, entrance hall. 

 The image is deliberately taken with natural light falling on the tile from one direction. Just as they will normally be lit from the kitchen windows. Through the glazed kitchen door.

  Quite inexpensive and claimed to be suitable for both outdoor patio and inside use. In the 150x150mm [6x6"] size I needed too. I have ordered enough for the hall and brought back a bag of self levelling compound. Which will even out the floor. Ready for the tiles when they arrive.

17.45 58F/14C outside in gales and almost a whole day of heavy overcast. Brief, watery sunshine as it neared 16.00. Still 65F/18C upstairs. 62F/17C downstairs. No greenhouse door opening today! I am wearing a fleece jacket over a T-shirt and jumper and am quite comfortable.


 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment