18 Oct 2022

18.10.2022 Chaos reigns!

 ~~

 Tuesday 18th 52F/11C. It looks clear to the north but with swathes of thin cloud to the southwest. Every window in the house is "steamed up" on the outside. High humidity. Up at 7am. No cooking lessons this week.

New Philips LED strip light in the hall.

 The rearrangement of the lounge has caused chaos on an unprecedented scale. The floor is full of boxes. Mostly books but lots of other stuff too. Taking pictures of the debris field is one, certain way to see the hideous reality in all its glory. And, no, I am not sharing the awful truth here. It all feels  a bit overwhelming at the moment. Every room has its full share of boxes and junk. 😱

 The bookshelves have been temporarily filled with fairly lightweight, storage tubs of "stuff." The hardboard backboards to the chipboard shelving units were only held with staples. These have mostly lost contact. Making the shelving units potentially unsafe if loaded with heavy books.

 I am still not convinced I like the rickety book tower dominating the corner. Yet I need to do something quickly to end the chaos. The books in boxes don't easily lend themselves to stacking. Removing books, to make the boxes lighter. Just leaves the top halves even more vulnerable to crushing. Filling them further just makes the boxes too heavy to handle safely. I am already using the smallest of the range of removal boxes. 


 I'd like to be rid of lots of books but have no outlet other than burning. Or dumping them at the recycling yard. Cardboard or paper waste? Choose one. I could leave some boxes of books in the charity containers. That leaves them responsible for choosing their fate.

 8.15 Time for a walk. To escape from reality. If only for a while.

9.30 Back from my walk. The sky was covered in vast, brushed feathers. I had the wrong camera and the wrong lens to capture any of it. A wide angle would have done it justice. The clouds were piled up in the east but seem more willing to let the sun shine through now. Should I abandon my duties for tidying and hide in the observatory? Probably not. It is clouding over with fast moving cumulus. No escape! 

 I'm catching up on the laundry backlog while I decide what to do about the lounge. I could stack boxes along the edges of the floor and cover with cloth. Get rid of the shelving units altogether. It feels too  much like triple handling. The local recycling yard isn't open until tomorrow. When I am at the museum. 

 There is another yard a few miles further on. I could dump the shelves outside overnight. Or, hitch the trailer and cover it with its tarpaulin. Ready to go in the morning. Then take a trailer load of charity container donations with me. I must start getting rid of all of this stuff!  It keeps breeding like rabbits. 

 It has no value to me but feels like a complete waste just to dump it. There are nearly 50 pictures in frames with glass. A whole variety of Danish artist's landscape "prints." Usually dull. Rarely worth hanging on any of my walls.  

 The new tiles, roughly laid out and viewed from the kitchen. It will need a straight edge [or cord] to avoid an untidy eyesore.

 As an escape from tidying I temporarily laid the new tiles in the entrance hall. To get a better idea of likely obstructions. The best spacing for an even distribution. Preferably without any cutting. Thankfully they were nearly perfect. Due to the tile size matching the hall dimensions. Perhaps more importantly, I wanted see if the floor was flat enough. Without needing the self-levelling compound. Sadly it wasn't quite.

The original edges of the hall were a few millimetres higher than the centre. Where I had relaid new concrete over polystyrene. That was after taking up all the floors. Then feeding 4" underfloor waste pipes and plumbing and heating Pex-hoses. Some in conduit, between the bathroom, the kitchen and the airing cupboard. So I do need to spread some self levelling compound. Whether I like it or not.

 16.00 55F. Sunshine. Just returning from the builder's merchants. I discovered I needed primer for the self levelling compound. Plus the 6mm corner crosses to separate the tiles precisely. A 20kg bag of ready-mix, fine sand and cement for filling the unfinished sections of the front hall wall. 

 I found two short, LED, strip lights which will work perfectly for the entrance hall. Heavily discounted for some reason. They will be much less harsh than the present, square, multi-LED plate. Compact too. So they will hardly be noticed when unlit. After dark I'll connect them both up. To see where they look best when lit. 

 I decided to fit only one light for tonight. I need to join two leads and dinner loomed. Which was mackerel on toast with tomato soup and bread roll to follow.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment