14 Oct 2022

14.10.2022 The lounge clear out.

 ~~

Friday 14th 50F/10C. Overcast. Mist has arrived since I got up at 6.45.

 The mist lifted as I walked to the village. Looped past the duck pond and up to the forest. Where a bird of prey moved effortlessly away through the trees. As if they weren't there. I returned by the main track back to the village. 

 I am not sure what I am going to do today. Preparing the lounge wall for painting is a potential target for my activities. Though it needs some serious book removal from the shelving units and tidying of the remains. 

 I have no idea what is in the lower cupboards. They haven't been opened for years. Due to the weight of the books above. Jamming the sliding cupboard doors. The dining table needs to be moved away. As well as all the chairs. 

 I find it horribly depressing to tidy anything now. The discovery of long forgotten items is too closely associated with my dear wife. I still haven't developed a strategy for disposing of so many different things. They aren't really charity shop fodder. Yet have some intrinsic value. To be used around the house. If only there was some way to sort and order it. For easy, future access. 

 The price of the smallest item, bought new, is utterly ridiculous these days. A bubble pack is a license to print money. There are so few local outlets for everyday items. That a journey and the cost of the petrol must be added to every purchase. Big shed builder's merchants are no replacement for the [long gone] local hardware store. The discount chains are always in the towns. Where there is a solid customer base. Meaning that they also draw people in from the rural areas but at increased cost to themselves.

 13.00 56F/13C. Pausing for lunch after clearing the book shelving and cupboard units. The cupboards were full. Mostly boxed ornaments wrapped in newspaper. The sticking drawers have also been emptied. Sorted into useful stuff and the rest disposable. I filled one bin bag with paper and plastic packaging. All my remaining, removal boxes are now full of subject-segregated books. Two boxes are in the Danish language. So I can hand those on more easily. I will probably keep the rest of the books. The arts and crafts books can probably find a new home.

 The lower drawer and cupboard units are now outside. Ready to go in the trailer. To take the tour to the recycling yard tomorrow. I shall stack the two bookshelf units against one wall. They aren't so deep as the cupboards. So won't take up as much space if they are tall but slim. These storage units were left behind by the previous home owners. We kept them for ready-made storage.

17.20 55F.  Sunshine at 15.00 tricked me into going out to the observatory. Where I sat for nearly two hours watching clouds crossing. Unfortunately the lounge was just as untidy on my return. The dining table is now in the middle of the room. Still surrounded by all the boxes of books and ornaments. 

 They aren't in the way of my working on the brick wall. So moving anything now will just mean double or triple handling. The downside is that I can't light the stove. Everything is too close. Luckily I managed to increase indoor temperatures by a couple of degrees using the greenhouse. If I really need the stove I'll just have to move the boxes to a safe distance.

 The dining table could go out into the kitchen at some time in the future. This would need the fridge being moved and a window set into the middle of the far end wall. It would be too claustrophobic without a window. There would be a nice view of the garden. Where the huge chestnut used to stand.

 At 140x80cm the antique pine kitchen/dining table is a probably a six seater. It is very unlikely to ever be used as such. Not unless something completely unforeseeable happens in my social life. I might as well leave it where it has always been in the lounge. Though I could move the bookshelves to another spot to free up the space behind it.  Or even push the table against the wall until it is used. So many options. So much time on my hands. I have now lifted the cupboard units into the waiting trailer. 

 18.15 I have also moved the furniture and boxes well away from the stove. I know I would have used this an excuse not to light the stove. Nor to proceed with the wall. The darkest time of the year is approaching. So it needs that largest wall wall primed and painted white. 

 Dinner was mackerel in tomato sauce on toast.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment