21 Oct 2022

21.10.22 The sound of silence.

 ~~

 Friday 21st 50F. Overcast and misty. A cloudy day with rain later this afternoon is promised. Up at 6.45. 

 Replacing the oversized, single-paned window in the bedroom has literally stopped the traffic noise. It took me a while to realise what was missing. The incredible silence of the house exaggerates every noise I make. I find myself looking around just because my tummy gurgles. Or I move my feet on the legs of the computer desk. 

 The dormer windows had been on the catch for ventilation until very recently. Now they are closed the new [triple glazed] window completes the sealing against external noise. One of my visitors mentioned how the house seemed better sealed. It didn't sink in as to exactly what they meant at the time. I thought they were talking about draughts. 

 I just checked on Google Earth. The road is never any nearer than 110m. Or about 120 yards away. The nearest sections are shielded by trees. Lorries and tractors have always been very audible. Until now. It was irritating to hear the traffic rumbling. The open plan of the house exaggerated the deeper sounds. Now it doesn't. 

 The closed-off balcony insulation was never completed. There was a gap in the rockwool along the eaves. This too has now been filled to a depth of 30cm or 12". Which further seals the house against noise and heat loss. 

 After my morning walk I am returning to working on the lounge door out to the entrance hall. I need to fit the architrave to rather wavy brickwork. Then seal the gaps in the joists above with boards or solid timber. 

 The dark red brickwork on either side of the door needs priming and painting white. That will help to light up a very dark end of the room. Right at the bottom of the stairs. Who would use bricks like these for a living room? [Flash image above.]

 There is a north facing window to the right. Though it has never had a chance against all the dark surfaces. That window is tall, antique, lanceolate and single glazed. It also faces tall trees. Which further robs it of light. I'll have to start saving for a shorter, modern replacement. 

 09.30 I have just returned from my late, morning walk. Traffic was highly variable. From long minutes of silence. To nose to tail and huge lorries in the mix. A solitary pheasant walked steadily away. As we both pretended not to have seen each other.

 11.00 I found a nice piece of sawn finish 1"x6". To fill the gap in front of the set-back joist to the right of the door. This makes it look like a real joist of solid wood. While allowing the cable to run freely along the back.

 12.00 It started spitting with rain as I walked back and forth endlessly removing 1/2º here and there on the the saw. Shortening the lengths by a smidgin. Note the difference in slope of the ceiling compared to the perfectly level door and frame. It should go unnoticed once the woodwork is all painted white.

12.45 I finally finished the architrave. I used the mitre saw, with a depth stop, to thin the back of the board. To provide relief for the protruding brickwork near the top. Now fitted, glued and pinned. [Flash image to penetrate the darkness.]

18.45 A mild 53F/12C outside. 60F/15C and 63F/17C indoors. I have been busy painting all afternoon. First the airing cupboard, double doors. Then most of the door frames. The brick wall in the corner of the lounge has had a one coat. To the right, beside the door I have been working on. First I had to wait for the primer to dry. So I ended up painting by the light of the distant bulb over the dining table. Daft really, because I have other, mobile lights I could have used. The wall was rolled first and then brushed to fill the pointing. It will need another coat in daylight.

 There is a similar, dark brick wall on the left of the door. Under the open stairs. I will paint that wall tomorrow. Once I have cleared the space beneath the stairs!

 Dinner was cheese on toast with halved baked tomatoes. I added the tomatoes as soon as the cheese was almost done. I followed up with half a tin of tomato soup and a bread roll. 

 The latter were strangely dry despite having a good "sell-by" date. Perhaps they were re-labelled? Some supermarkets are so desperate for profit that the prices on the shelves are lower than the checkouts. I bought three items in Netto and all three had higher prices at the checkouts. The slob on the checkout didn't even bother to check when I questioned this. He just handed me the difference in coins and moved onto the next customer. 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment