18 Jul 2020

18.07.2020 To the Far Woods.

~~

Saturday 18th 60-75F, heavy overcast with a light breeze. I'll have to avoid the usual routes because the fields have been sprayed. So I had better head for the distant forest if I want a proper walk.

I set off down the road and then took an exit where a track continued between the fields. There were some strange smells but  nothing reminiscent of agricultural spraying.

It felt far warmer than the thermometer might have suggested. Two dozen flies hitched a ride in my thermal. They are not obviously territorial unless they were taking turns. The woods were shady but I still took the next exit back to the road.  To have continued would have added three quarters of an hour to my perambulations.

Traffic was about normal and mostly too quick. Lots of birdsong. Swallows and dozens of Wood pigeons tootled back and forth. A whole cloud of Sparrows moved between hedge and the nearby, grain crop. A harvester was parked up in a quiet corner. The results of its trial run around the edge of the field clearly visible. A strange race track with no competitors. No sunshine, to speak of, but the sky held a lot of blue between decorative, motley clouds.

Warm 75-76F in the afternoon with some sunshine. July has been unusually cool and this trend is expected to continue after a pleasantly warm weekend.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment