31 Jul 2020

31.07.2020 A White-tailed Eagle pretending to be a gull.

~~

Friday 31st 53F, bright and clear with variable cloud forecast. The wind has dropped to calm so far. There were thousands of wind-powered gulls back again yesterday.

Yet again, immigrants testing positive for the Jinping Virus, greatly outnumber their representation in society. 60% of new cases are immigrants to Denmark. Yet they number only 14% of the Danish population.

Various theories abound as to the reasons. Language difficulties missing government warnings? Larger, multi-generational families? Socially and economically disadvantaged groups in overcrowded accommodation?  What about "compulsory" religious attendance?

Another morning of hacking the tops off tall, prickly hedges. Then taking the remains to the recycling yard. After lunch I enjoyed an afternoon walk in bright sunshine and 73F heat. The sky was decorated with a few, high, wispy clouds.


A large, white, bird of prey joined the gulls circling aimlessly at about 200'. So I took a few snaps. 200mm at 1/2500s at f7.1. 200mm Micro 4/3 = 415mm at 35mm equivalent. I was quite pleased to have captured it as a first try with my new camera and telephoto lens. My old TZ7 would have made a complete mess of a bird at this height and distance. It has a cycle time of seconds between shots. The G9 can take as many images as fast you can re-squeeze the shutter. Or can be set to rapid bursts of exposures if desired. Assuming enough forethought.

I cropped the best [or rather, largest] images from 5000 pixels down to 1000. So I'm afraid these shots are a bit "noisy." These birds are huge when close up! So it must have been much higher than I had guestimated. I  struggled to distinguish it from the gulls at that height. It has a wingspan of up to 2.5 metres! That's over 8'!

Google would have me believe it is a White-tailed Eagle, in Europe. Or White-tailed Hawk in the Americas. It is certainly not one I was able to identify unaided. I call all white birds of prey "Goshawks." Which only goes to show my complete ignorance. Though I know the Goshawk has "pointy" wing tips this bird had very obvious "fingers."

It was hunted to extinction in the UK by the early 20th century. Where it was the largest bird of prey. Later, successfully reintroduced. A fish and carrion eater. It was often blamed for the deaths of lambs on which it was seen feeding. When the lambs were already dead and the eagle simply taking advantage of a free meal. Much like the Red Kite. Another carrion eater which was blamed for economic losses.

The new, Scarpa boots are coming along nicely. I hardly noticed I was wearing them for much of the time. I call that a success.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment