20 Apr 2020

20.4.2020 Day 39.

~~

Monday 20th 35-59F, another white, overnight frost on the grass. All day sunshine promised again. 120 hours already recorded for April. There was a bit of cloud yesterday but not enough to spoil things. I keep forgetting to check the day's highest temperature. If I post an arbitrary figure it makes a complete mockery of my recording local, daily temperatures.

Who knows? Some future Internet archeologist might dredge the last, dying electrons to discover my humble blog. Lying beneath countless layers of complete and utter tripe about fashions, ephemeral communications electronics, cat videos and some medieval, contact sport called "football."

What will they think if I couldn't even manage to note each day's temperatures correctly? It might be the last remaining dregs of data on this largely unknown time. Before the plague really took hold and human  society collapsed back into the ways of the jungle. Only to claw its way back to the same complete mess it started with. Unconvinced? Suit yourselves. 🧐

A longer walk today: Up  to the forest, where I did a loop over an untrodden route. The woods were packed with birds  busy doing what birds do. I had paused by the entrance, where the field track reaches the wall of trees. To be rewarded by a gaudy woodpecker oblivious to my presence. I ambled up and downhill as I followed long forgotten forestry tracks.

Two large deer were grazing by a drainage ditch. Pausing to watch me intently between mouthfuls. I saw them again later. As I circled the edge of the woods by a steep, rough field.

Then it was back along the familiar track past the marsh pond. Which was devoid of visible water birds but for a solitary swallow. Which swooped back and forth across the water catching breakfast flies. It was getting quite warm as it had reached 53F as I plodded along the busy road heading for home. 


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment