29 Mar 2020

29.03.2020 Day 17. Accretion Ice!

~~

Sunday 29th 34F, bright with gales after half an inch of overnight snow with fierce gales. Every north facing roof is white as is the grass. Though not to any great depth. I heard the wind in the night and it sounded weird. As if it were driving rain against the windows.

It is going to be freezing today with gusts to 17ms/35mph at these low temperatures. What a change from yesterday's still and warm sunshine at 51F. My hand still hurts from the thorn. So I shall have to be careful for a while. It is only slightly swollen and a bit pinker than the rest. Time for a walk with white clouds racing over from the north.

The wind was so strong that I was able to lean on it. I was holding my arms behind me just to make progress by reducing my frontal area to the wind. The strangest sight greeted me here and there. I thought I was looking at a scattered packaging debris like thin, fine polystyrene sheet. It turned out to be white ice. Some road signs had huge plates of the stuff. Even spreading out like square wings at the sides of the metal plate.

A single post had a sheet of ice a foot square fixed just above the grass. I had been staring at it as I approached from a distance and assumed it was a white bag dumped by a litterer. I think they call it accretion ice but have never seen it in Denmark before. Usually the stuff of mountains and shipping in hard winters.

It was far too cold to take off my GripGrab, two fingered mitts to take a picture. Even turning my back to the wind was painful on my bare hands as I tried  to take my camera from its soft case. The wind was relentless and perfectly steady. Rather than gusting.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment