2 Mar 2020

2.03.2020 Bipolar Sunshine?

~~

Monday 2nd March, 36F, clear blue sky with bright sunshine. Walked early to the lanes against heavy traffic. Most of the drivers were women. I kept to the verge. Well, you have to, don't you? 😉

It was sunny until lunch time when it became completely overcast after 12.30.

A senior, Danish, health administrator has said that up to half a million Danes may eventually get the new coronavirus, Covid-19. Only the very elderly and those already sick will need the help of the health service.

There is already panic buying in some countries. Just as there was in Denmark on the morning following The Great Storm of 1999. Men and smokers in particular, are at increased risk. I used a clean wet wipe on my hands after each shop. Then washed my hands thoroughly once I arrived home. I am shopping as few times as possible and going early before the crowds form.

Tuesday 3rd 40-44F, heavy overcast, breezy. The bipolar forecasts are for sunny periods with showers, or grey with rain. Take your pick n'mix. A brisk walk to the lanes in light showers under a leaden sky. Risked a shopping trip to catch up. No sign of any shortages.

I used wet wipes on my hands after each shop, again, but realised the futility. Every item had been handled several times, by other people, before I put it in the basket, then onto the filthy checkout belt and then away in my bags to take home. The car keys, door handles and steering wheel had all been collecting germs. You can't disinfect most food packaging very efficiently at home.

The checkout staff still insist on handing you change or the receipt. Even though a tray is placed on top of every checkout apparatus for that very purpose. Delivery drivers still insist on a fingertip signature on their clever tracking devices. The packages have been multi-handled.

The only likely barrier is frequent and thorough hand washing. Alcohol-based hand washing products are antibacterial but how about viruses? The sun has little UV at this time of year, even when it appears. So leaving items out to "air" is very unlikely to reduce anything contagious on surfaces.

We had a parcel delivered by a well known national & international carrier. His employers had still had no discussions with the staff about the virus yet. This is really not good enough. Because they are often the only direct link with many households.

As a joke I tried to sign his machine with a large, plastic knitting needle. It didn't work. So I had to add my own contagion to the screen with my fingertip. Back indoors for another thorough hand wash afterwards. Disposable gloves take too much time to put on at the sound of the van at the gate.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment