27 Jan 2020

27.01.2020 Going backwards downhill. Grr!

~~~~

Monday 27th 41F, another grey day with rain. It rained on me as I walked briskly to the lanes. Fortunately I was waterproof and returned unscathed.

The need for an errand demanded a gate pass for the trike in the afternoon. I'd only travelled half a mile when I saw a fully streamlined tadpole trike. Going well, they were too, but on the opposite side of the road. Though I'd never have been able to follow them. I haven't seen a stream-liner in years. Dark blue with a flashing orange light on top if anyone is reading this

I turned off down the country lanes immediately afterwards to avoid the main road traffic. Just ahead was a keen cyclist in a bright jacket on a racing bike. He was absolutely dawdling along and hardly bothering to pedal most of the time. 

Yet on every minor descent he effortlessly freewheeled away from me. While I was turning myself inside out desperately trying to catch them! I've had little old ladies [and big ones!] just cruise away from me downhill. As they freewheeled on sit up and beg bikes, with fat and often flat tyres.

The trike must have some seriously well hidden drag somewhere. The wheels seem to turn freely, the tyres are 23 front and 25 x 700C rear, hard at 90+psi and the brakes certainly aren't dragging. Still they ride away from me as I hide my nose behind the handlebar extension to reduce my wind resistance. 

Does not compute! Never has. Never will! Only 8 miles but it was good to get out again. Not that I had any real wind to fight the wind. My legs didn't feel too bad at all, despite my slowness downhill, while pedaling like a mad thing!

~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment