8 Jan 2024

8.01.2024 Winter without end!

 ~o~

 Monday 8th 23F/-5C. Up at 8.30 after earlier wandering. Room at 55F/3C.  Greenhouse at 28F/-2C. Both thermometers agree.

9.00 Breakfast over. I had better light the stove. Then go for a walk. I have been slacking. My back and shoulders are aching. Probably from moving stacks of logs and snow clearing. Both are unfamiliar forms of exercise.

 9.30 Golden sunshine.

 10.30 25F/-4C. Bright sunshine. No wind. Back after a walk looping along the drives. Followed by a loop around the spray tracks on a roadside field. Returning by the new drive again. The flooding is about the same but frozen hard. The beck much lower than before. This will change once the snow and ice melt.

 The Sorel boots are rather good for this sort of low key off-roading. I would not wear them in the mountains. Though the grip is fine for such a relatively smooth sole on ice. I slipped only once. My own fault for turning back to look at something. While walking on clear, water ice. Otherwise normal care and attention to slopes and icy surfaces was enough for safety. 

 The roads were wet and far clearer than before. Though not without ridges of hard packed snow and ice in places. The salt spraying is obviously not up to the job below certain temperatures. The traffic has a share in breaking up these ridges when they run over them. Most drivers avoid them. Which prolongs the ridges existence. No doubt tire spray helps too. I took to the verges as each vehicle approached. To allow them to pass safely, without deviation and to avoid being sprayed myself.

 10.40 58F/14C in the room. The greenhouse has risen above freezing at 33F. Still too early for full sunshine to reach into the greenhouse. Until it does there is nothing to add warmth to the air.  

 13.00 29F/-2C. Warm sunshine! 66F/19C in the room. 70F/21C in the greenhouse! I have been shopping in the village. I took in a parcel. Only to discover that Post Danmark continues to commit deliberate suicide at our expense. They pick up packets before 9 o'clock for next day delivery. Take in any later and they won't be back until tomorrow. Keep taking the tax-payers money! The dustbin men haven't been yet.
 

 After I got back I finally managed to open the Morris Minor door. The lock has a plunger which is exposed to the gap in the door. It was frozen fast and I was afraid of breaking the tiny little key. I used de-icer on the key and lock yesterday but it had no obvious effect. It was the plunger which needed attention. I started the car to warm it through after a week of freezing temperatures. It started easily thanks to the new battery I fitted soon after purchase. I should recharge it fully.

 I had a dizzy spell after lunch while I was browsing. My head suddenly started spinning. So I went to bed. Woke up fairly normal. At least by my standards.

 Dinner was salad. I have no idea why I added a poached egg.  It was still slightly runny even after 6 minutes.

~o~


No comments:

Post a Comment